Richard's '02 V6 Coupe EX-L

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Re: Sil2DrV6's 2002 Accord Coupe EX-L V6

You need an exhaust. Helps block out all these old car rattles, squeaks, creaks, etc. :lawl:
Yes sir, I do need them haha. But I want quiet ones, so I will be going w/ an OEM+ set from a different model. (Thought about Tanabe HM's, but I guess not..)

I wish I could let you drive my car, Chris. B/c you'll be amazed by how quiet my car is. ;) ← To the point where I became annoyed by the sound of my key fob hitting the steering wheel column, which I've also deadened that sound lol.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score

Mine is pretty quiet. Dual magnaflow 2.5" piping cat back, high flow cat and two of the largest resonators I could find to keep it quiet.
Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Q9OtmpFDM edit: sounds better with headphones or speakers with some bass, phone speakers don't do it justice.

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score

Can you help deaden the sound of rocks hitting underneath my car :lawl:

My quick fix is turning up the music.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

Mine is pretty quiet. Dual magnaflow 2.5" piping cat back, high flow cat and two of the largest resonators I could find to keep it quiet.
Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Q9OtmpFDM edit: sounds better with headphones or speakers with some bass, phone speakers don't do it justice.
My god, that's loud! ← To me haha.

But really, those are indeed pretty quiet for the racing style muflers. Your large resonators def do their job; The sound sort of reminds me of listening to Tanabe Hyper Medalions, which I was originally looking to get them.

Sidenote: Sounds like your car talks, like a Knight Rider, in the end of the video clip lol.

Can you help deaden the sound of rocks hitting underneath my car :lawl:

My quick fix is turning up the music.

Sure, if you pay me. :naughty: :GetMoney:

I do the complete opposite Lol. Sometimes I drive with no audio and no heater, and hunt down for any possible noise haha.

Last edited:

JV6

Reaction score

We had a local v6 accord guy here running 2 magnaflow mufflers with existing stock pipings, he just cut his stock muffler and replace it with the magnaflows. Car was really quiet inside when cruising, sounds nice when he turns the car on like a poor version of G35 sound. You can hear it a little bit when he floors it, sounds deep like any other V6 but not loud at all.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

We had a local v6 accord guy here running 2 magnaflow mufflers with existing stock pipings, he just cut his stock muffler and replace it with the magnaflows. Car was really quiet inside when cruising, sounds nice when he turns the car on like a poor version of G35 sound. You can hear it a little bit when he floors it, sounds deep like any other V6 but not loud at all.
Thanks for the info, James. That's a nice idea to have them quiet down the sound. "poor version of G35" eh? Must be pretty quiet for an aftermarket exhaust system.

For the past 7 years, I've looked at Tanabe HMs, Magnaflows, Comptech, in terms of its size and shape, but even Tanabe HMs, they're being "not that loud", but they aren't "quiet" for my taste... Well, quiet mufflers = factory mufflers. So, I've looked at the 3rd gen STI's, G35/37's, 3rd gen TL-S, 2nd gen RL's, etc. I don't mind having them custom-fit, but they weren't looking exactly right in my vision..

Then, I've discovered a beautiful set of factory mufflers that will suit my needs after all. I'm very sure that I will be settled with those, and they will be revealed, when I get them installed on my car, hopefully soon in the future. ;)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

I wish I could let you drive my car, Chris. B/c you'll be amazed by how quiet my car is. ;) ← To the point where I became annoyed by the sound of my key fob hitting the steering wheel column, which I've also deadened that sound lol.

Hmm I think you’d find my car quite savage then, haha.

For the past 7 years, I've looked at Tanabe HMs, Magnaflows, Comptech, in terms of its size and shape, but even Tanabe HMs, they're being "not that loud", but they aren't "quiet" for my taste... Well, quiet mufflers = factory mufflers. So, I've looked at the 3rd gen STI's, G35/37's, 3rd gen TL-S, 2nd gen RL's, etc. I don't mind having them custom-fit, but they weren't looking exactly right in my vision…

Tanabe Medalions are definitely not quiet lol. Ever since I heard them on a 7GA V6-6, I’ve wanted to switch to them. They are higher pitched than the Magnaflows, kind of sound more like a race exhaust. And they “pop” a little more which I liked. Did you consider the CL mufflers?

Then, I've discovered a beautiful set of factory mufflers that will suit my needs after all. I'm very sure that I will be settled with those, and they will be revealed, when I get them installed on my car, hopefully soon in the future. ;)

What?? You’re doing a performance mod!? I am curious… :)

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

Hmm I think you’d find my car quite savage then, haha.

Tanabe Medalions are definitely not quiet lol. Ever since I heard them on a 7GA V6-6, I’ve wanted to switch to them. They are higher pitched than the Magnaflows, kind of sound more like a race exhaust. And they “pop” a little more which I liked. Did you consider the CL mufflers?

What?? You’re doing a performance mod!? I am curious… :)
I agree, b/c I remember Mikey told me that your suspension setup wasn't quite as what he has expected to be, haha. Well, as you already know, everyone has their own preferences, so I def respect your taste tho. ;)

That's what I thought. I've seen some video clips on Tanabe's, but they aren't that quiet. I was hoping to hear them something quiet enough like G35's, but I guess not. Yea I thought about the CL's as well, but those are just tips that make the difference, if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, I like my current Autozone tips better. :p And, I hate the look of our / 2G CL 'n TL stock Y-pipe..

Oh, believe me, I do like having some performance mods on my car. It's not like I've been not wanting, or neglecting to do; It's just that, I know it will be a long journey, once I start doing the performance side to get some decent power out of them. Besides, having 200 ponies is good enough for me to DD it as of now (with my SEV products. :lawl:) At this point, I don't want to loose any of my low-end torque, so this is why I'm going w/ the axle-backs.

I'm still debating on getting a RSB or the axle-backs for my next (major) mod tho... But it seems like I still need to do a little more research on RSBs, in terms of choosing the right thickness, that doesn't sacrifice my ride comfort, so I will most likely to get my selected axle-backs next. So, plz stay curious for a little longer... :)

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

I always tease Mike just because he is the most methodical person I've ever met when it comes to making decisions. :lawl:

I make decisions carefully though, which I'm thankful for because my car is pretty much, for me, the perfect balance between daily driving comfort and serious performance. There's a part of me that enjoys a lack of refinement, it makes the car feel more alive. That raw, visceral experience makes for pure driving excitement for me.

I don't think you need worry about the RSB affecting ride quality, your suspension is largely responsible for that. Upgrading your RSB will really only decrease or eliminate body roll and aid stability (more noticeable at higher speeds). Since you have the Neuspeed and TL/CL strut bar combo up front, I recommend upgrading to the Progress bar in the rear. It even has two settings, one for taut, one for not. :)

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

I always tease Mike just because he is the most methodical person I've ever met when it comes to making decisions. :lawl:

I make decisions carefully though, which I'm thankful for because my car is pretty much, for me, the perfect balance between daily driving comfort and serious performance. There's a part of me that enjoys a lack of refinement, it makes the car feel more alive. That raw, visceral experience makes for pure driving excitement for me.

I don't think you need worry about the RSB affecting ride quality, your suspension is largely responsible for that. Upgrading your RSB will really only decrease or eliminate body roll and aid stability (more noticeable at higher speeds). Since you have the Neuspeed and TL/CL strut bar combo up front, I recommend upgrading to the Progress bar in the rear. It even has two settings, one for taut, one for not. :)
Maybe I could be the second best person, if you ever met me. :lawl:

Yea you really do make good moves, when choosing parts for your car. In fact, most of your product reviews are positive, and you're pretty much happy with them. "Lack of refinement"... Maybe I'm too emotionally attached to my 6gen, but I can also see the 6GA to be exactly that. (We have no CVT, no VCM, no FCW, no LDW, no TPMS, no VSA, etc, which they can make a driver irresponsible and be spoiled by them from time to time.) Well, there are some cool 'n cutting-edge features that I do want them for my car tho; If you're really x2 dedicated, there would be some ways to add them on to your car, and that's what makes customizing a car to be fun imo. I like my car that I can manipulate it at will, rather than being assisted / manipulated by it too much. (Well, except for my ever-lasting AT lol.)

I felt the world of difference, when I first got the Neuspeed front strut bar. I got the CL/TL's added afterwards, but I couldn't tell the big change in effect. Some members are also amazed by having the CL/TL's itself, when they swap it for their oem bar. My case was the Neuspeed, but either one of them is already good enough to feel the drastic change in less body-roll, I suppose. With that said, it might not be so necessary to go with the thickest RSB, just b/c I have the 2-bar-combo in front. This is another thing but, since I have Neuspeed bar in front, I've been thinking to go with Neuspeed RSB to integrate the brand. As far as ride quality is concerned, I've heard from a shop that, the thicker you go, the stiffer it gets on ride quality. Also, here's what Neuspeed website describes their RSB:
With smooth mandrel bends, aerospace-quality steel, polyurethane bushings, hardware and much more, NEUSPEED sway bars give you the ultimate in handling. NEUSPEED sway bars reduce body roll without sacrificing ride comfort during straight line cruising.
(OEM coupe RSB: 17mm.)
Neuspeed: 19mm.
CL-S: also 19mm.
3G TL-S/TL MT: 20mm.
(Progress: 24mm.)

I've been thinking of 19mm ~ 20mm to be more like an OEM+ upgrade. Meaning that, if they really do change ride quality, +2mm ~ +3mm would be the way to go for me.

If they don't affect ride quality at all, then I can go w/ Progress tho. But like I said, I need to do a little more research on RSBs. :)

Last edited:
Back