Acura RL BBK Upgrade

Nissan2anAccord

Reaction score
so what about rear brakes, i do know 75% of the braking is done by the front brakes but now for you my friend it'll be like a 90/10 split lol, are you gunna retro some rears too? i think those are 2 pot calipers on the 3G TL-S?

btw, i was thinking about this for a little while about month or 2 back but didnt say anything, is there no way to get the mounting bracket for the 3G TL-S to fit on to our cars???

then again, what gen calipers and what not are you using again??

and yes, after doing some research im damn certain there brembo.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
not sure, the TLS calipers are Brembos i think which cost a lot more.

You're right, a set of 3G 6MT/TL-S calipers with the knuckles go for $300-500 depending on condition.

I've read that 2nd Gen tls or cls wheels wont fit. I'm guessing most honda 17s wont clear.

Right again, the offset on the 2G TL/CL wheels is to high (+55 on a 7" wheel IIRC), they won't even be close to clearing.

Although these calipers are not brembo, they are still fantastic 4pot setups.

So value and flexibility (options) is why people are going for these over other sets.

It's funny becasue if you look at the 3G TL Brembos next to the RL Aisins, the RL calipers actually look more meaty.

Thought the RL's were brembo maybe then the 4pot TL type-s Calipers are brembo then.

RL's are Aisins like Kevin said, the 04-08 base 6MT TL's and the 07-08 TL-S had the Brembos

Looks like a great project, can't wait to see the outcome.

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
so what about rear brakes, i do know 75% of the braking is done by the front brakes but now for you my friend it'll be like a 90/10 split lol, are you gunna retro some rears too? i think those are 2 pot calipers on the 3G TL-S?

btw, i was thinking about this for a little while about month or 2 back but didnt say anything, is there no way to get the mounting bracket for the 3G TL-S to fit on to our cars???

then again, what gen calipers and what not are you using again??

and yes, after doing some research im damn certain there brembo.

You can do a fastbrake rear setup with larger rotors. But unfortunately, there is no plug and go BBK for our cars, unless you do some major work to reqire the ebrake.

I'm 100% sure that the RL calipers are NOT brembo. I've seen almost 6 sets in person, they are NOT from brembo. But it does not mean they're not good calipers. in fact, aren't Acura RL heavier than a TL?

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
I'm 100% sure that the RL calipers are NOT brembo. I've seen almost 6 sets in person, they are NOT from brembo. But it does not mean they're not good calipers. in fact, aren't Acura RL heavier than a TL?

Yeah it is...quite a bit heavier. The RL weighs in at 4083lbs. and the 3G 6MT comes in at 3482lbs.

If you put both calipers side by side I'm almost 100% sure the RL calipers are bigger.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
And they don't have to be Brembos to be good. People these days are so enamoured with the Brembo name, it's kinda funny. :lawl:

The RL calipers are great.

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Yes and the TL's are smaller then the RL's I noticed that off the bat when looking at both of them in person easily.

Nissan2anAccord

Reaction score
You can do a fastbrake rear setup with larger rotors. But unfortunately, there is no plug and go BBK for our cars, unless you do some major work to reqire the ebrake.

i was refering to the TL-S or RL stuff... lol assuming it would be cheaper to go that route

i wouldnt know, i would asume the 370z stuff would be perferred would need to source our diameter of rotor, and probably width

Last edited:

KnightRyder

Reaction score
i think either rotor will work. i guess it just depends on the size of the rotor you want and how many spacers you have to add to the custom bracket to space the caliper out a little further to accommodate the larger rotor.

side note:
i got my dremel attachements in today so i can begin fully polishing the entire caliper now :) let see how well this goes and how long it takes me to done one half of a caliper.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
This is coming along nicely, can't say I've ever seen a completely polished caliper.

Back