Engine Theory, Build, Etc Discussion.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
lool i dont wanna do high cr... thats what the other guy said... right now im just worried about which engine would be best... :driving:

right now i guess im looking at j32 block with j32 heads and j35 internals... that makes it a 3.5l right? ;)

Travel to V6p, but IMO your getting yourself all confused and way over your head. Just swap the 6 speed with a j32 and you will have PLENTY of work ahead of yourself, it's not a walk in the park. It's very hard and requires a lot of custom engineering. Once you have learned and experienced that swap, I would say you are ready to upgrade. A 6 speed J32 in your car would haul balls, remember that your car is lighter than the original car it was intended for.

Deshon2688

Reaction score
Alright, I've got a question for you guys...

I'm looking to go the G23 Turbo route. I understand you can only pick 2 out of fast/cheap/reliable, and I'm definitely looking for fast and reliable, and planning to take all the time I need to save money and get there. So with that being said, I want to build the motor for low compression first, and not worry about turbo aspect of it for at least another few years. Assuming I'm starting with just a bone stock f23 block and h23 head, what should I be looking into as far as the engine build?

I'm not looking for any step by step guide or anything, just for some of you guys to throw out some ideas as far what pistons/rods I should research, and the necessary valvetrain upgrades. Most of the info I've found on g23's so far has been building for high compression. I'm searching around to find as much info as I can, so by no means am I asking anyone to do my research for me. But if anyone knows of any info off hand, it would be a great help.

Thanks

Deshon2688

Reaction score
:eusa_wall: Anybody?

Mainly, what should I do as far as pistons/rods to keep compression low when I put on the h23 head? And what else would be necessary for the block in terms of long term reliability?

Deshon2688

Reaction score
Crower rods, CP Pistons ...already available.

Stock H23 cams

Ok, cool. Do you know some reliable distributors?

And the stock cams wouldn't have any problem handling a higher boost setup? Assuming the rest of the head is built properly.

I really appreciate the help. I plan to do A LOT more research on this before I start. I don't know anything about engine internals other than what I've read on 6ga, which has already helped a bunch.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Race Engineering is the only place I've heard of that sells both.

Use the stock cams until you get to the point where they prevent you from making more power.

Deshon2688

Reaction score
ok cool, that makes sense. Last question for now...

I see the pistons come in 86mm and 86.5mm, and I understand its better to bore the stock sleeves to make sure there are no imperfections when replacing the pistons. Should I be looking to bore to 86.5 to run the larger pistons or would that be raising the CR beyond the desired level for boost? Or is there a better practice for this?

tunedaccord

Reaction score
here my ? i got a f23a4(i know WTF Ulev) i want to turbo my car i would rather buy a whole kit that will bolt on and not require a tune for now. i know its best to tune it with boost. where can i get one and when the time comes that tuning would be best other than converting to obd1

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ok cool, that makes sense. Last question for now...

I see the pistons come in 86mm and 86.5mm, and I understand its better to bore the stock sleeves to make sure there are no imperfections when replacing the pistons. Should I be looking to bore to 86.5 to run the larger pistons or would that be raising the CR beyond the desired level for boost? Or is there a better practice for this?

Its only .5mm. It's better to have nice round cylinders to put your new pistons in. It's not going to raise the compression that much to really effect anything drastically.

here my ? i got a f23a4(i know WTF Ulev) i want to turbo my car i would rather buy a whole kit that will bolt on and not require a tune for now. i know its best to tune it with boost. where can i get one and when the time comes that tuning would be best other than converting to obd1

This makes no sense, especially since your screen name is ''tunedaccord". You want to buy a kit, slap it on, but not tune it? Search...we have several boosted members as well as write ups on how to piece together or locate kits. As far as tuning goes, find someone or a shop who can, found out how good they are, and what programs or systems they're familiar with.

Back