Painting Intake

00blackedaccord

Reaction score
so i am going to pick up a used AEM SRI.....its polished but it looks a little rough and im going to clean it up when i get it....if it doesnt end up shining up to the point i like i am considering painting it with some high temp. paint maybe....has anybody attempted this or know some helpful tips that might come in handy.....or should it even be done? ha....and maybe some ideas on colors maybe....info greatly appreciated...

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
i picked up a cheap-o short ram from a buddy and the "chrome" coating was bubbling and everything so what i did was sanded it down, sprayed some primer on it, sanded again and another light coat of primer then like 2 coats of high temp flat black paint. im happy with it, it also doesn't stand out like the bright *** chrome does either.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
hancockd said:
i picked up a cheap-o short ram from a buddy and the "chrome" coating was bubbling and everything so what i did was sanded it down, sprayed some primer on it, sanded again and another light coat of primer then like 2 coats of high temp flat black paint. im happy with it, it also doesn't stand out like the bright *** chrome does either.

flat black ftw! :beer:

and yeah, any hi-temp paint is good enough

00blackedaccord

Reaction score
not a bad idea on the anodizing i didnt think of that....i dont know what ill end up with.....just depends if i want it to stand out or not really...

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I painted some alumminized intercooler pipes for my old car since they were ugly. I used duplicolor, no problems. Just use light coats. First because it's round and not easy to coat evenly with heavy coats. Second, too thick and it takes years to dry.

00blackedaccord

Reaction score
i dont get whats so funny but whatever.....i still havent got the intake but im goin to try to get it soon and see what i can do with it before painting it.....maybe it will shine up nice but if not ill look into the painting....if i do it will be a silver, black, or greyish color prolly....nothin real wild or anythin just to fit in nice under the hood and look clean...

Jeffro

Reaction score
I don't know if he still floats around this site or not, but I remember Nittany had his AEM CAI painted to match his car. He was selling it, but if he is still around, maybe he can give you some tips. Here's a picture of his car, but I didn't see a picture of his intake on that link...

00blackedaccord

Reaction score
thanks ill have to check with him....i paid for intake today and should be here sometime soon....then ill let u guys know how it goes...

Back