5 speed transmission gets hard to shift after 20+mins of driving

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
problem: After driving the car for about 20minutes(if that) the car gets hard to shift into 1st gear.(But works perfect before 20minutes or so)
New Transmission(LSD)
New Clutch kit, New HONDA slave cylinder and master cylinder.fully bleed clutch line.

Im lost. Any ideas?

99 Accord F23-5 speed from factory
LSD swapped(Worked perfect after the swap last year)
New clutch installed last month,along with slave and master

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Hmmmm, I'd like to know this as well. My first seems to give me huge amounts of grief, and then when it functions, reverse does this... Anyone have any ideas or is this just something Honda is notorious for?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
What fluid, I'd really d&f to honda mtf and see what kinda junk is on the drain plug. oem mtf is about thick like 30wt oil, 80w90 would be bad, but ~1qt (rest honda mtf) will help a dieing trans, for awhile.

It sounds like your synchro may be dead, moves easy, don't 'click', works fine while stopped.

Last edited:

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
Do you mean downshifting into 1st? Or at the full stop won't go into 1st? I wouldn't recommend to downshift into 1st anyway... And if the car rolling, shift right into 2nd.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Refilled it using OEM HONDA MTF 3qts(ish)

This problem is at a dead stop,Neutral going into 1st to take off.

Shifts like butter for about 20 minutes,then after awhile it gets hard in 1st only.Rest of the gears are fine.

No issues going into gear when car is off-not that,that matters.lol

edit:I usually dont downshift when I know im about to stop. Just pop into neutral until complete stop.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
When this happens try this: keep your foot on the clutch,put into second, then right back into first, and see if it goes in smooth

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
When this happens try this: keep your foot on the clutch,put into second, then right back into first, and see if it goes in smooth

Okay.I will drive the car on tuesday and see what happens.

I was told yesterday my RPMS might be to high at idle, little less than 1000rpm. I have a level 2 bisimoto camshaft installed.
I tried to lower it today by turning the flat head thing on the throttle body.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
It could be a few things, your idle sounds ok, usually you'll have that problem if the idle over 2000 type thing. There's a clutch brake that could be worn or gear synchronizer or throwout bearing, also could have air in the system, tried bleeding the clutch?

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
New Clutch Masters FX300 kit-throwout bearing ect.
New Flywheel
New Honda slave
new master
new axles
no air in the clutch line. used plain DOT3 fluid again.

*had this issue with the stock transmission, Reason I swapped to a new LSD tranny(buddy installed the old trans into his prelude and it works fine)
After the swap it drove fine,Last month my clutch exploded. Swapped the blown ACT xtreme kit with this FX300(stockish clutch)
Then realized the slave or master was bad.-SO sign that my old transmission was good afterall,just the ACT xtreme was so hardcore it just worked.lol

Last edited:
Back