new tires and different wheels for E39 and a Civic wanted to race

paypalbid

Reaction score
i don't really have anything specific in mind, but it's a GT3 so absolutely anything will be sweet :lawl:

997 has about 7k miles on it. The car is prettty much stock except for Borla exhaust and K&N intake. Fun car for regular drives and occasion canyon run. It will probably get traded in for a GT2 or a Ferrari (not set on a model yet.)

HotboxF23

Reaction score
Best looking M5 bodystyle to date. Are those wheels off the e38 740?

And just ignore drivers like that next time, dont engage them. Esp Civic drivers.

Best advice ever:roflbow:...either hes retarded and not worth your life or ride that you worked hard for, or he really does have somethin in the hood...either way dont entertain they're like happy puppys ignore them they go away

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Since you mentioned your M5 in your other thread...

I am thinking about getting an '03 540 M-sport for my next car but they are rare, especially in manual. Then I found that for the premium people seem to like to charge for a true M-sport you can get an M5 with a little more mileage for not much more cost. Plus there are many more M5's out there and in general they are better kept. From what I have found from extensive reading people also say the M5 is better built and more dependable in that it has a double row timing chain so the guides last longer, and the coolant system makes use of more metal parts (like maybe the impeller in the water pump). Of course, the M5 is more expensive when it breaks, but it and the 540 seem to share most of the same issues and it's nearly the same procedure to fix them. So my point is I am now also considering the M5 if I found the right one.

Anyway, just wondering if you could tell a little about your M5...what your ownership experience has been like, issues you've had, etc. And that major service expense you mentioned on page 1, what all did that involve and did you pay someone else to do the work?

I think I could handle most of issues these are known for like VC gaskets, coolant system, thrust arms, VANOS chatter, etc. I think I could do the timing chain guides but not sure I want to lol. Doubt I would do the clutch. Seat twist, dead pixels, and busted cup holders aren't a big deal to me.

paypalbid

Reaction score
Since you mentioned your M5 in your other thread...

I am thinking about getting an '03 540 M-sport for my next car but they are rare, especially in manual. Then I found that for the premium people seem to like to charge for a true M-sport you can get an M5 with a little more mileage for not much more cost. Plus there are many more M5's out there and in general they are better kept. From what I have found from extensive reading people also say the M5 is better built and more dependable in that it has a double row timing chain so the guides last longer, and the coolant system makes use of more metal parts (like maybe the impeller in the water pump). Of course, the M5 is more expensive when it breaks, but it and the 540 seem to share most of the same issues and it's nearly the same procedure to fix them. So my point is I am now also considering the M5 if I found the right one.

Anyway, just wondering if you could tell a little about your M5...what your ownership experience has been like, issues you've had, etc. And that major service expense you mentioned on page 1, what all did that involve and did you pay someone else to do the work?

I think I could handle most of issues these are known for like VC gaskets, coolant system, thrust arms, VANOS chatter, etc. I think I could do the timing chain guides but not sure I want to lol. Doubt I would do the clutch. Seat twist, dead pixels, and busted cup holders aren't a big deal to me.

I've had my E39 M5 for almost 10 years. It has always been my weekend car so I drive it less than 5,000 miles a year; the reason being is because the traffic in Southern California is not great for a 6 speed manual transmission.

I would recommend you get the M5 over the 540i because you will get more bang for the bucks. The M5 is more fun and it will hold it value in the long run. A well maintain clean M5 price is already bottoming out and will be more sought after as a collector items as time goes on with limited availability of clean used M5.

I did all the oil changes myself, 8 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 from Walmart and a filter is about $80. Oil change once a year cause I drive less than 10,000 miles.

I have the K&N drop in filters $60 each (2) so no cost on air filter replacement. Some people will say the K&N foul the MAF sensors but just don't over oil them.

I changed the Final Stage Unit $80 parts, common faulty part that cause the interior fan to turn on while the car is off causing battery drain.

The transmission and rear differential fluid is supposedly lifetime but you can still do the drain and refill for less than $100 for fluid.

I drain the coolant every 3 years using BMW blue coolant, $80 for 2 jugs.

I don't have any Vanos issues that affect smog inspection, very little Vanos chatter non exist once the car is warmed up.

Because the M5 is spirited driven. I spent around $4,000 with parts labor changing all the suspension components. Koni yellows, all arms, outter inner tie rods, bushing, sway bar links, center link drag bar steering, and whatever else to make the car handle like a champ.

Replaced battery was around $250.

I replaced a couple of Cam Positioning Sensor my self around $60 each Bosch.

I replaced thermostat $60 and thermostat housing O-rings from dealer $15.
Replaced

I do have some dead pixels but not too bad where I can't read the display.

I haven't had to change to catalytic converter or clutch yet.

Check out m5board dot com and learn as much as you can. The cost to drive is more because it gets 18mpg 91 octane, tires are expensive, insurance, everything about it is more. Would make a great weekend car which is what mine has been, that way keep the maintenance cost down. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back