transmission swap

Erijoe

Reaction score
hello, my 02 accord v6 pulled the last mile home as the tranny is dead now, i need to work and to pass nc inspection but it wont because the check engine light is on for transmission, and im low on cash for a rebuild one, my question is will a 03 or 04 auto accord v6 tranny work with my engine? or if anyone could enlight me on the right path as i been searching for info but no luck, and have to ask for a ride lol

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
hello, my 02 accord v6 pulled the last mile home as the tranny is dead now, i need to work and to pass nc inspection but it wont because the check engine light is on for transmission, and im low on cash for a rebuild one, my question is will a 03 or 04 auto accord v6 tranny work with my engine? or if anyone could enlight me on the right path as i been searching for info but no luck, and have to ask for a ride lol

I believe it'll bolt in, but the 03 on cars use a 5 speed AT which might cause problems with the ECU, causing the check engine light to be on.

I hate to say it, but your options are very limited in either finding another 98 to 02 AT (you could try one of JDM used transmissions for 5 to 900 bucks), or doing a 5 speed MT conversion (fairly expensive). Keep in mind you'll need a trans for the V6, and NOT for the 4 cylinder.

A final option would be looking for another car. Sorry, but I think that's about all I can offer.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score

It will bolt right up with no modifications but the 98-02 Accord ECU won't run the 5 Speed auto tranny 100%. I read wayyy back on a guy that did a 7th gen Accord 5 speed auto tranny into the 6th gen Accord using the 6th gen Accord ECU and the tranny would hang up in 3rd gear.

Sorry friend, You gonna have to have the 4 speed auto rebuilt.

Kill the bulb for the check engine light
Bam problem solved

If the inspection tech runs a OBDII scan, it won't pass.

aeastman1204

Reaction score
I'm actually in the same boat right now. The 03-07 AT is a 5-speed and won't work with the 98-02 ECU. You can find a used 4-speed AT from a 98-02 but unless it was rebuilt already then you're likely going to run into the same issue down the road. If you have the patience and the funds for it, you can do like myself and several others and swap in the 6-speed manual from the 03-07 V6. There are several threads on it. Otherwise I would suggest just having the auto rebuilt or replaced. Have all the shift solenoids checked while they're at it. Any metal fragments or clutch material in the old fluid will have found its way to them and may cause issues down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enne

Reaction score
Which code specifically is it giving you? Depending on the code it might be an easier fix than just replacing the entire transmission. My Camaro was throwing a TCC code, and replacing the valve body fixed the problem.

Connie

Reaction score
Too bad you guys are all in the states; I have 3 spare v6 autos, 2 of them known good and one freshly rebuilt. I'd be willing to part with 'em for $150 for the known goods (the rebuilt is not for sale, lol), but the border is in the way and that makes it not worthwhile, unfortunately.

Also, normally the first thing they do for an emissions test is check that the check engine light comes on with the key in position 2. If it doesn't, they won't even test it until you fix that bulb. That's what happened to me last time I got mine testes, even though I had no codes. Had to replace that bulb from a parts car before they'd even hook the scanner up.

Erijoe

Reaction score
thanks everyone, yes took it to honda dealer and they told me the tranny is going out and quote me for another one lol too many number for 02 accord tranny, but then took it to a mechanic shop and told me the same thing, looks like ill have to save for a rebuild or used one, cause the 6 speed seems impossible at the moment. thanks for the info

Back