SupraGuy's... Supra.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
My first Supra I bought on Leap day, 1996. It was 7 years old, and had really low mileage. The car was a normally aspirated 5 speed, and I drove it daily for many years. Those years weren't particularly kind to it, and the local winters were even less kind. After a decade, and nearly half a million kilometers, I had a coolant hose blow on the freeway, and I convinced my (now ex-)wife that what I needed was a new engine, so I picked up a 5 speed turbo that someone had put sideways into a pole, and swapped in the turbocharged engine, with a little bit of build work, then I drove the car again for about 5 years.

In 2011, I came across a deal on an engine that needed some TLC, and I started preparing a build for a bit more power. I had the block bored and machined, put in new forged pistons, shot peened rods, brand new oil pump.

ARP hardware to install the cylinder head, with a 5 angle valve job.

Brand new timing belt and water pump

Valve covers, intake manifold, and otgher various bits out of the sandblaster, ready for powder coating

And out of the powder coater

New RC injectors, larger than stock for improved power potential

And almost ready for installation

Off of the stand, and onto the hoist. yeah, that's a Turbonetics 60-1 turbocharger. Much larger than the factory CT-26, with a lot more capability. The factory turbo is good for maybe 10-12 PSI positive manifold, but even there, it's mostly just making heat. This beast is probably good for 20 PSI positive manifold, but still spools fairly quickly with the 3L displacement, particularly when coupled with an exhaust that's at least 3" from the turbo all the way to the exhaust tip.

Last edited:

SupraGuy

Reaction score
While in the process of starting to get the new motor ready, in January 2013 I came across a deal on a 1990 turbo 5 speed car with the removable roof. I couldn't pass that deal up, considering that the older car was getting to be in rough shape, and was going to be a LOT of work to restore.

A little playing with the lighting in the interior, changing over the climate control from green illumination to a red/blue combination, adding in a digital voltmeter to the dash, re-covering the steering wheel in new leather

In the summer of 2014, the car started showing some signs of trouble, so I took it off the road, with the intent of installing the new engine. As it happened at that time, my wife also asked me to leave the house, so work on both the car and the engine slowed to a crawl. I'm now 2 years behind where I wanted to be, but since I moved back into the house recently (My ex moved out) things have been looking up. This year, despite a terrible summer of lots of crappy weather. Rain. Every. Freakin'. Weekend. I've managed to get a lot done, with much of the latter post-powdercoating engine assembly done in the past couple of months.

So, now the new engine is in the chassis, it's bolted in, and in the process of getting going. Not much to do, and if all goes well, I might even get most of it done this weekend.

At this point, the biggest thing left to do is bolt the clutch up. (This is done after the engine/transmission is mated together via inspection holes in the bellhousing) I still have to install the radiator, intercooler piping, and a few bits of electrical, make sure that my ECU add-ons are all connected, and address the rear tires that mysteriously went bald about the time that I decided that I was going to pull the engine that was in the car, and take it off the road. :shrug:

Last edited:

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Electronic modifications on the car include an Apexi AVC-R boost controller, and a Zeitronix wideband/datalogging piggyback. These were installed on the car with the old engine, so I know that they work at least. There's also an SAFC-Neo, but I'm not sure that I like this much. I am considering other options for fine-tuning fuel control.

The exhaust is a Tanabe Hyper Medallion exhaust with a Random Technology downpipe from the turbo to the cat-back. This eliminates the catalytic converter, so if I ever go somewhere that I need the catalytic converter for, I'll have to put the factory downpipe back on. (Here it is illegal to remove a functioning catalytic converter, however the factory one ceased functioning long ago, so removal is entirely legal. Emissions wise, it's not the friendliest, but still somehow meets requirements for its time at 2000 RPM. I bet it's terrible at idle ant wide open throttle though.)

I had a competition sound system installed in the '89. So far, I only had a cheap deck installed in the '90, and one of the front speakers is badly blown. (Actually, it's the deck that's now installed in the Accord. I transplanted it since I intend to take the deck from the '89 and install it in the '90.) There's not much left of the competition system, since the car was broken into in 2008, and though I bought all of the replacement parts, I never did the install work, so I have some beautiful Audison amplifiers, excellent speakers, and processors still in the box. I did re-install the deck, but just tossed in a couple of eBay amplifiers and speakers since that was about the time that I started working on engine performance, and hadn't been to an IASCA competition in more than a year.

so I have a nice deck for it, complete with all of the installation hardware needed, I just need to plug it in.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Thanks.

No numbers yet, the built engine hasn't been started yet, it's still full of assembly lube. That last pic of it being dropped in was from earlier this month. It's almost ready to run though, I need to bolt up the clutch, install the radiator and front exhaust,and give it some fresh gas. No way that it'll be ready to dyno this year, if I'm lucky, I'll have some time to do break-in before it's time to park it for the winter.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Awesome build also my favorite body style of supra's very hard to find here in good condition. Good luck.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
So mechanical woes are mostly done. I have a vacuum leak in the intake somewhere to address, but I got her started and moving under her own power this weekend.
attachment.php

The tires are a bit oversize, so there's a lot of sidewall there that won't be there when I tires on my nicer rims.

I got the first run done, now I need to change the oil and start break in proceedure. Can't wait until it's time to hit the boost good and hard.

Attachments

• parkedsupra.jpg
    parkedsupra.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 184
Back