Frankenstein bumper (SiR-T into 2 OEMs with a lip)

KnightRyder

Reaction score
Yes! after over 3 years of not giving a **** about the car or the forums.... im BACK.
Ive been off the forum for years now and i thought id update you guys on the new front end, something i started doing recently again.

Im not even sure who is still around and if any of the current users even know who i am. oh well. times change.

Lots of pics to come. Ive been posting on Facebook groups since its so easy compared to posting on forums these days.

Basic rundown.... 01-02 bumper is the main bumper, 98-00 upper bumper with grill, SiR-T bumper trimmed and fit into the OEM bumper then finished off with a 01-02 OEM style lip.

Top to bottom: 98-00 OEM bumper already cut in half, 01-02 OEM bumper, SiR-T Front Bumper with lip and fogs, 01-02 OEM Style Lip

Laying down tape lines to visualize the joining of the pieces

and just like that, cut out a chunk of the OEM bumper and the SiR-T chunk when right in.

http://i47.photobucket.com
/albums/f175/KnightRyder/Front%20Bumper/20160806_123902_zpsborykl0d.jpg

Taped the Lip up there and everything to get an idea of what it'd look like.

Cut out the 01-02 grill since i dont like it, getting ready to swap in the same section off the 98-00 bumper

and the pieces pretty much line up as i wanted, measuring pays off people!

Stepping back to see it coming together

The scrap pile, all garbage now.

Cleaned up the joint of the grill and bumper and getting it ready for fusor 152 adhesive.

Glued together and curing

Glued the lower grill section too and used screws as a temporary holder while things cure.

Coming along real nice, *** end of the car is up to simulate what it'll look like when its on bags.

Its looking pretty serious.

Cut out chunks of the lip to allow pieces of the SiR-T section to sit semi flush when things get molded together.

The miracle worker... Fusor 152

Needed a lot of glue to hold the lip pieces together since they're so different.

Started applying evercoat fibertech filler to begin getting it smooth

Sanded down, prepping for additional layers

Several layers later, blended in pretty well for a rough filler. the finer filler will come later

Side shot

Starting to see the outcome

Fogs put in too just because i was curious to see it together again.

fibertech filler getting layered onto the lip to make the new shape.

Sanded down and put back together, i like putting things back together after each days work to see how it's coming along, Im Lovin It!

All this happened across the last 4 weekends. Now you're up to date and ill do my best to keep the forum posted in addition to the facebook groups.

Last edited:

ThatDesiKid

Reaction score
Amazing work! I've looked through all of your old threads and just love your car man! This is going to make it look rad!

As for the 98-00 OEM bumper, why use that? Just for the removable grille or so you didn't have to switch out the hoods?

Last edited:

KnightRyder

Reaction score
the removable grill sits farther back in the bumper and imo looks better. I've never been a fan of how the 01-02 grill looks up against the hood. i liked the tucked back look of the 98-00

I chose the 01-02 bumper as the base bumper because i like the edges it has under the headlights whereas the 98-00 is plain.

I was already doing so much custom work i said f it and just built it exactly how i wanted.

FNCONE

Reaction score
****ing amazing work knight! You just motivated me lol. Cant wait to see it painted. Are you making it a 1 piece bumper or the lip and grill will be removable?

I do see glue on the lip, guess that answers my question.

KnightRyder

Reaction score
For the time being the lip is removable from the bumper. Still undecided if i want to mold that in too or not.

KnightRyder

Reaction score

Finished the shaping of the lip.

Started to lay down the fine filler, first layer.

After lots of sanding, got it smoothed down. Thats it for this weekend, ill get back to it next weekend.

Back