Bad Axle?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
they have a 5% discount code too.. just search google and u'll find it haha

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Post up where you end up buying axles from, Jon. I may be following suit...

Also, can you explain a little more about the "popping" sound?

accord_luv

Reaction score
theres no need to mess with the tranny fluid to replace axles.. changed both mines and they just slide in and out of the tranny with nothing leaking.. MT tranny btw

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
haven't heard of any issues from autozone ones.. lifetime warranty too haha

I bought the cv axle/half shaft from Autozone for the gf's Camry about 6 months back. No issues yet. I did however notice that the car ran smoother and got better gas mileage. I guess that toast half shaft bearing was putting unnecessary stress on the motor.

kn0x47

Reaction score
chris the popping sound sounds like two pieces of metal up against each other than one shifting over like something is loose. similar sound as to when one of my endlinks were loose.

I jacked up the front of the car today and ran the motor. axles don't seem bent and there was no noise so that sound definitely isn't the brakes. I cleaned the front passenger brake anyways and found out the boot around the caliper piston is torn so now I gotta replace that too. I'll post up a better video clip of the axle noise later.

I ended up buying Duralast Gold axles cause of the lifetime warranty. I'll update after I replace everything

kn0x47

Reaction score
So I got the new axles installed along with new oem axle seals. I ended up draining the transmission 3 times cause i thought the o-ring on the tranny drain bolt was leaking. Turns out its a leak between the axle and the axle seal. wtf!

Any thoughts on what I should do now?

My only idea is to take the axle back out, check for debris, put it back in and check for leaks. if there are, i'll put the oem axle back in see if that leaks. Hopefully that will tell me if it's the axle seal or a defect in the axle. If i could find my vernier calipers then i could compare the two axles

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Damn, man. Sounds like a lot of work. So the leak is between the seal and axle? It seem like the only way it's there is if the seal is bad. :thinking:

Hmmm. Yea it's gotta be a bad seal.

Edit: unless the bearing housing on the axle is shorter somehow. Also, if the seal it's self is thinner creating a gap.

Last edited:
Back