Low mpg's

tj_harris

Reaction score
Guess who's back with another question...

Anyways, I left my mufflers alone because of all the feedback you guys were giving me. I've been reading around and searching about mpg's because I'm getting about 21-23 highway and user some people getting upper 30's.

What's some stuff to do to increase them?

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Upper 30s for a car as old as ours is lofty, best I've ever seen is about 28.

Basically what you can do is a tune up on the car, this includes plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil, oil filter, and the air filter. If you want to a little further, get some seafoam and run it through the intake system as per its directions.

tj_harris

Reaction score
Okay that makes sense. & what about tire pressure? Does that make a noticeable difference?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Tire pressure will make a difference, because under inflated tires will cause your car to have to 'work harder' therefore using up more fuel.

Keep it tuned, tires inflated and stay at or just below the speed limit. That should all help to minimize your fuel consumption.

No jack rabbit starts coming from a stop light/sign as well, is a good idea.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The cars that are getting higher mileage are the 4cylinders. The V6 is rated at 20/28, so if you're getting around that you're good. If not, take some of the advice given.

tj_harris

Reaction score
I try to never go over 3k, and I never take off really fast. My normal drive is a little over 100 miles to go there and back and it usually takes about $15 @ $3.09/gal. It's mostly interstate miles around 75mph, but I just don't feel like it's getting all it could get.

& what's safe about the tire pressure? 5psi over what the sidewall says should be fine, right?

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
I try to never go over 3k, and I never take off really fast. My normal drive is a little over 100 miles to go there and back and it usually takes about $15 @ $3.09/gal. It's mostly interstate miles around 75mph, but I just don't feel like it's getting all it could get.

& what's safe about the tire pressure? 5psi over what the sidewall says should be fine, right?

Damn $3.09 per gallon only!?

Our cars recommend 30psi right? But when you get new tires just check for the max psi it cam hold while being safe. For example my tires (Falken Ziex 512) has a max psi of 40, I usually stay around 35 for my usual driving, take it up to 38 for long drives, and bring it back down.

My mpg are...

100% city = 23mpg
50/50 = 26mpg
100% freeway 29mpg

On freeway I usually drive somewhere between 65-70mph.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I keep my tires at 40psi .. they're stretched Federal 595SS. I usually get ~28mpg driving mostly freeway (I'd say 3/4 of the time driving is spent on the freeway.) and I drive 65 all the time.

Back