Clutch pedal sticking

732xghost

Reaction score
For the past month or so I've been experiencing some issues with my clutch. When the car is cold or hot (usually after stop and go, traffic, etc) the clutch will grab extremely and uncharacteristically low. The clutch pedal will also stick when going from neutral to 1st gear. Gear shifting is still smooth without and grinds or resistance. The clutch grabbing low and the pedal sticking keeps getting worse and worse.

The car has 146k on it. I bought it with 72K and always assumed I was using the original clutch. I'm debating if its the clutch master cylinder or the clutch itself. The CMC is not leaking and neither is the slave master cylinder. I have experienced both CMC and SMC failures in my last car, and none of those symptoms mirror these. I've been thinking of doing a complete overhaul anyway (clutch, flywheel, CMC, SMC, and doing the rear main seal while the trans is off)

just looking for some input, suggestions, or opinions before I go forward...

james'99

Reaction score
I'd start by verifying proper operation of the slave cylinder. Clutch in, slave cylinder extends and let out, does the opposite. You'll need two people for this. Obviously yours is doing this to some extent. Is the clutch pedal doing what the clutch is doing?

732xghost

Reaction score
I'd start by verifying proper operation of the slave cylinder. Clutch in, slave cylinder extends and let out, does the opposite. You'll need two people for this. Obviously yours is doing this to some extent. Is the clutch pedal doing what the clutch is doing?

Ok I will try that tomorrow and report back. The clutch pedal will stick while the car is fully in 1st gear. I have to try and get under the pedal with my left foot to pop it back out before I can shift into 2nd.

Fresh fluid?
Change it, lmk.

fluid is very dirty. I have some Honda brake fluid lying around so I will try and remove the dirty fluid from the reservoir.

Again I just want to add that neither the CMC or SMC is leaking. That is something I've dealt with in the past.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
not just new stuff in the reservoir, new stuff all through.

Replace reservoir fluid, then bleed till clean, then top it off.

Jimsun

Reaction score
Change the cmc. Ive had this issue. If it stil persist. Change the smc.

732xghost

Reaction score
checking back. I bled the slave cylinder and put new fluid in it. Still acting the same. The slave cylinder is working properly. Im leaning toward the CMC at this point

Back