Valve Cover Spark Plug Seals Removal

snowblower

Reaction score
What I initially perceived to be a simple valve cover gasket replacement has unfortunately turned into a nightmare. I ordered a valve cover gasket kit from my honda dealer, and it included not only the valve cover gasket but also the seals that cover the spark plug tubes. I figured this would be simple enough; however, I'm experiencing more trouble than I bargained for. The seals that cover the spark plug tubes just will NOT come off. They have hardened beyond belief. Currently, I'm painstakingly picking at them with a flat head screw driver, in conjunction with a needle nose pliers. With that said, in the process of removing the first one, I think I may have damaged the valve cover itself. I've got wok in 3 hours; therefore, I must get these off quickly and reinstall the valve cover. Is their a better way of doing this? How do you install the new ones? Is there any special tools required? Any advice will be immensely appreciated.

Last edited:

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Try some WD-40 let it soak for a lil bit n see if it softens up the old dried out seals

snowblower

Reaction score
Re: Valve Cover Spark Plug Tube Seals Removal

Just in case any other poor soul ever confronts a similar dilemma in the future, this is how I finally got them off.

Clean the valve cover and take it into the kitchen. Boil water. Completely the soak the rubber spark plug tube seals with hotter than hell water. Next, pick at the seals with a small flat head screw driver ( miniature screw driver like the ones you would use to unscrew screws on a wrist watch ). This process is time consuming and tedious. I poured boiling water over the seals perhaps a total of 8-12 times. I noticed with ever round of splashing with boiling water, the seals became softer and softer. Keep picking away with the screw driver, and bit by tiny bit, they will eventually come off.

And once you finally get them all off, don't bother taking a sigh of relief because getting the new ones on isn't going to be easy either. In regards to gettting the new ones on, the factory service manual is useless. From what I've gathered from this ever so glorious medium of exchange we call the internet, the new seals have to be hammered in with a rubber mullet. Now I don't have a rubber mullet, let alone a hammer. Nor, do I currently enjoy the benefits of mechanical transportation due to my vehicle currently being decapitated ( valve cover off; hence, no head. hehe lol get it? I'm a dork.) Therefore, I shall push the seals in with all my might utilizing my soon to be non functional thumbs. Will report back once this task is complete. But, seriously does anyone here have any other ideas. :D

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yeah, they're not easy getting off, and tight going on. i used a piece of wood and a hammer to put them back on, they went on quick for me though.

Back