adjusting coilovers for smoother ride.

DarkElegance919

Reaction score
can somebody here tell me how i should adjust my Hayame full coilovers to get a smoother ride? the slightest imperfection on the road will make everybody in the car bounce...in the rear, i have the springs lowered enough to the point where when i jack up the car to when the wheels are off the ground, the springs aren't pressured, it's loose. but when i drop the car back down, it's tight. the front isn't loose at all. so i'm guessing the lower i set the springs the smoother the ride? but i'm afraid that if i lower the springs too much, there won't be enough support for the shock. i can handle it when i ride alone, but with passengers, it's quite embarrassing. :thinking:

nexTOme

Reaction score
i dont know much about hayame coilovers, but if it is dampening adjustable, then you should set it to softer dampening.....if it isnt dampening adjustable....hmmmm

raising it up could be a solution if the spring load is different for its ride height(just like tein), if spring load is set at one place (like omni power), then i dont know....:)

thats all the knowledge i have for coilovers.....sorry.....

p.s can tire play a big role on ride quality?? if so, thicker sidewall maybe?

DarkElegance919

Reaction score
i just went from 18 to 17 and there is a difference, but nothing major. the major one would be from the suspension. and my coilovers are nearly identical to the omni, so can anybody help me?? haha or i'll just switch to tokico illuminas! hehe

nexTOme

Reaction score
my coilovers are nearly identical to the omni, hehe

you are scaring me there.....this will be my first lowered car, but if i cant get used to driving it everyday....lol now you made me thing about getting a illuminas....

DarkElegance919

Reaction score
haha like i said, i could take driving alone, but i feel really sry for the passengers. i wish i didn't have to drive passengers, but it is a sedan after all. so unless i can figure out how to adjust my coilovers to make it softer than it is now, then i won't have to get illuminas because i heard they're soft, and rite now, the word "soft" makes me get the butterflies! haha

nexTOme

Reaction score
wow....i cant wait till i get my omni then...hahaha i want my passenger to suffer from stiff ride and think that i am sooooo coool! hahaha well yeah man, i tried my best....and thats all i know about coilover.....

Phut

Reaction score
i have to ask you, are the hayame coilovers damper adjustable? as nexTOme mentioned, you should be able adjust the dampening on them if they are.

if they ain't, if you raise the car up more by adjusting the perches, you're increasing the spring load on them as they'll be more compressed.

another thing that i'd like to know is your spring rates? sure, when you jack up the car, there's no load set on the springs so they'll move more freely than they would with your car on ground. i'm guessing that you're spring rates are probably stiff.

next time, save up more and buy better known brands.

DarkElegance919

Reaction score
i have to ask you, are the hayame coilovers damper adjustable? as nexTOme mentioned, you should be able adjust the dampening on them if they are.

if they ain't, if you raise the car up more by adjusting the perches, you're increasing the spring load on them as they'll be more compressed.

another thing that i'd like to know is your spring rates? sure, when you jack up the car, there's no load set on the springs so they'll move more freely than they would with your car on ground. i'm guessing that you're spring rates are probably stiff.

next time, save up more and buy better known brands.

as in damper adjustable, u mean adjusting the spring load and ride height separately? then yes. i don't know the spring rates on them sadly. so ur saying that the more compressed the springs are, the stiffer the ride right? but i'm thinking the spring rates are pretty stiff. i'm sure these coilovers are good, but just not for a DD, but more for track performance.

cantafordaccord

Reaction score
well you need adjustable dampening witch I dont belive you have

however if you can adjust the coils preload then that may make a difference however I don't think it would help much if any seeing how the spring likely isn't preloaded much if at all

Back