Alternator going bad.

crazyspade101

Reaction score
When i put my windows down my headlights dim, or when anything needs power they tend to dim. Even when i put my car from park to drive i can see them dim a bit on each change. I had a shop test my alternator they said it is going bad, but not enough to worry about yet, even though it is a big deal and could go at any time.
I used to have 800w rms subs blowing a 60 amp fuse now and then, they headlights would dim when ever a bass note hit. I installed a 1.7 farad cap, problem got worse.. I've seen the read out on the led display drop down to 10v while i was driving before and 9v when idle. I currently have my system out because I'm in the process of making fiberglass enclosures for the subs. I also recently installed a 100w x 4 rms amp for my regular speakers and that requires a 60 amp fuse for the power. So now i have a max draw of 120amps which is 15 amps over the rated power for the alt. So im guessing i should get a H/O alt that is probably 200+ amps. I am having trouble finding a alternators with that output. Any suggestions?

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
i don't know all these output and amps stuff but check out the honda odyssey alternator. some people have put that into our accords.

crazyspade101

Reaction score
They are only like 130 amps. Not much of an upgrade. i was looking for something in the 200+ range

Back