Brown muck/oil in coolant. Why? What to do?

AlanCM

Reaction score
Theres brown muck and oil in the coolant tank that comes from the radiator. I think the brown muck might be because previous owner was running pure water in the cooling system( correct me if wrong). But I'm afraid the oil might be caused by a more urgent problem. Plz advise.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
U need a new headgasket. That brown muck is probably in the engine now too.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Head-gasket blown or a crack in the block. Replace the head-gasket, flush the system, change the oil. If that don't work, check the block for cracks.

AlanCM

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the responses. According to repairpal app, for the make, engine and my area im looking at about 700-1200 $$$. There isn't any apparent problems yet other than the crap in the coolant(most of it is the brown crap very few drops of oil here and there). Can I run my car like this for a while longer while I save up the money or finish paying off the car in 3 months ($300 payments) to get a loan for the repair? Maybe flush out the cooling system of that brown stuff for now?

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the responses. According to repairpal app, for the make, engine and my area im looking at about 700-1200 $$$. There isn't any apparent problems yet other than the crap in the coolant(most of it is the brown crap very few drops of oil here and there). Can I run my car like this for a while longer while I save up the money or finish paying off the car in 3 months ($300 payments) to get a loan for the repair? Maybe flush out the cooling system of that brown stuff for now?
Nope. If I were you I wouldn't even drive it until it's fixed, but it's your car. If you really wanted to go the cheap route until you get the money to fix it properly they make a head-gasket stop leak product that most auto parts stores sell. It may temporarily fix your problem. I don't recommend that method either but I'm the type of person that if I'm going to fix it I'm going to do it right or won't at all.

AlanCM

Reaction score
Thanks I'll look into that temp solution. It's the only car I have rite now so I have to use it. I'll jus take it easy with it till I fix it.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score

Same thing happened to my Mom's EM2. I never had time to change her head gasket nor her waterpump so about 2-3 months after a few over heats, it ended up being a blown head gasket + the water pump was giving out.

It only ended up costing me $300 dollars + 2 days of work to fix everything.

Before the over heats there were brown muck in the coolant, could be rust build up from using too much water and not enough coolant.

I'm pretty sure if you tore down your engine and looked at the cylinder walls, there would be rust building up there as well since you have brown residue and oil in the coolant.

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
I have the same problem there is oil in my reservoir but I wouldn't jump the gun and say you have a bad head until you see mixing in the engine oil and the coolant in the radiator. I'm a mechanic and I simply removed the coolant from my reservoir and cleaned it out real good and didn't even have to flush the coolant because it is perfect and so is my oil. There are certain symptoms of a bad head gasket that can trick you into thinking its bad. Not saying your head gasket is good or bad but inspect further before you go and fix something your not sure of.

Back