Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > The Garage > DIY - Do It Yourself Forum

DIY - Do It Yourself Forum We have a lot of threads on how to do things yourself, from air intakes to suspension, brakes, even electronics. Please search first, if you can't find an article about what you're wanting to do just ask for help

Register to remove these ads

Old 07-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Points: 273, Level: 3 Points: 273, Level: 3 Points: 273, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

DShaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: black housing headlights?

Does anyone know the best way to tint the high beam buckets yellow? I have the Krylon stained glass spray paint to do my fog lenses but I'm not sure how it will work on the chrome reflectors. I'm just wanting to do it for the look in the daytime but I'm afraid it might hurt my light output at night. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 07-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Points: 1,058, Level: 8 Points: 1,058, Level: 8 Points: 1,058, Level: 8
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Accordx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DShaw View Post
Does anyone know the best way to tint the high beam buckets yellow? I have the Krylon stained glass spray paint to do my fog lenses but I'm not sure how it will work on the chrome reflectors. I'm just wanting to do it for the look in the daytime but I'm afraid it might hurt my light output at night. Anyone have any experience with this?
I personally would stay away from painting over chrome reflectors but that's just me. Not sure how you'd do this.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:59 PM
purp og

Points: 115,024, Level: 100 Points: 115,024, Level: 100 Points: 115,024, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Sketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to allSketch o5 is a name known to all
Member Photo Albums

i never felt great about painting the reflectors with that stained glass paint, though it looks like it comes out fine when people have done it. i always just used yellow bulbs, and you can usually see the yellow of the bulb reflecting off the chrome anyway, so it kind of gives the look you're going for.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Points: 2,890, Level: 15 Points: 2,890, Level: 15 Points: 2,890, Level: 15
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Aman is an unknown quantity at this point

^ This. I have Nokyas in my DRL/high beam housing, and the yellow reflection off the buckets is enough for me. Will try and get a pic.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Be a better driver

Points: 70,510, Level: 82 Points: 70,510, Level: 82 Points: 70,510, Level: 82
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

RedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit together
Member Photo Albums

Originally Posted by DShaw View Post
The key is not spraying too much, just keep it light so you get the effect you want but don't kill the light output. Either way the output will be lessened, but personally I don't find these high beams to be that great anyway. I bought a set of retros from someone that had sprayed the high beam reflectors yellow, it looks good but they sprayed it too heavily and the light output is not very good.

In retrospect I would rather have the stock chrome reflector and use a yellow bulb. Then if you get suck of the yellow tint you can change it back to clear. Not as easy to do once they are sprayed yellow.

OEM Full Lip Kit Club #1 l March Madness ROTM 2014 l 6MT/3.2 Swap l Ze Car

Last edited by RedRyder; 07-03-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Points: 619, Level: 6 Points: 619, Level: 6 Points: 619, Level: 6
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Rusty Accord is an unknown quantity at this point

My son was telling me he found some place that sold a tint you applied to the lens to give you the ˙ellow look" headlights (like some IMSA cars use). I can't remember who he said was selling them, but he also found them on e-bay.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Points: 1,058, Level: 8 Points: 1,058, Level: 8 Points: 1,058, Level: 8
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Accordx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rusty Accord View Post
My son was telling me he found some place that sold a tint you applied to the lens to give you the ˙ellow look" headlights (like some IMSA cars use). I can't remember who he said was selling them, but he also found them on e-bay.
Certain companies sell cutouts like premium auto styling but none for the accord as far as I know. This is definitely an option though.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:44 AM
Points: 619, Level: 6 Points: 619, Level: 6 Points: 619, Level: 6
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Rusty Accord is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Accordx View Post
Certain companies sell cutouts like premium auto styling but none for the accord as far as I know. This is definitely an option though.
The place he was telling me about, sold it in a sheet. This ment you could custom cut it to fit your application. He's a Honda guy too (into Civics), so he's always looking for something different.