cheap tranny cooler diy $30

dustint209

Reaction score
Everyone knows the accord auto trannys don't last much longer than 100,000 miles. My car has 108,000 miles and still shifts fine so I decided to put a tranny cooler to try and get a few more thousand miles out of it. For only $30 from a local parts store I think it will be worth it in the long run. I made a custom bracket to keep it away from the radiator. I think it looks kinda cool too. Any questions just ask.

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00202.jpg

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice, but this really isnt a diy since u just showed us the end product without any description or details on how to do it step by step. :lawl:

dustint209

Reaction score
yea what is that anyways and how does it help?

Its basically a radiator for your transmission fluid to help keep temps down. High temperature is one of the most common causes of tranny failure. I've read somewhere that "every 20 degrees cooler your tranny runs it doubles its life" (although to low in temp is bad too). It's probly mostly BS but it should help some.

Maybe it's not the most detailed diy but you get the idea of how I did it right?:thinking:

ejreams

Reaction score
Its basically a radiator for your transmission fluid to help keep temps down. High temperature is one of the most common causes of tranny failure. I've read somewhere that "every 20 degrees cooler your tranny runs it doubles its life" (although to low in temp is bad too). It's probly mostly BS but it should help some.

Maybe it's not the most detailed diy but you get the idea of how I did it right?:thinking:

No not really lol.

I mean I see what you did but did you use stock hoses? is it an independent unit? does it attach to the radiator? uh?

dustint209

Reaction score
No not really lol.

I mean I see what you did but did you use stock hoses? is it an independent unit? does it attach to the radiator? uh?

Ok sorry, jus being lazy. Yes its an independant unit that comes with a nice thick tranny fluid hose about 2.5ft long. I took another pic so you can see where I hooked it up. I took out the 4in section of hose between the radiator and that round thing and just ran the cooler in line using the supplied hose and clamps. To mount the bracket I made, I used the two holes that were already in the front radiator brace. Hope this helps.

DSC00203.jpg

dustint209

Reaction score
If you can't figure out what I did from the pics and from the information I wrote than you shouldn't work on your own car. I'm not tryin to be an a-hole about it. I personally thought I supplied helpfull information. Sorry if it wasen't good enough or if I mislead anyone.:thumbup:

Back