When do you change your oil?

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Just curious about what type of oil everyone uses and how often do you change it and what maintenance you do every 12k on average?
I have a f23a1 in my 98 5spd at 163k, I currently use 5w30 syn. but am aware I can also use 5w20 like later 6th gens do.
Right now I run 5w30 synthetic (not sure of brand cause we get it bulk, i want to say castrol) with oem honda filters and change my oil every 2500-3000 miles along with the drain plug gasket (remember to change every oil change, cant count how many oil leaks ive seen from them not being changed) Now my reason behind this is number one my oil changes are free at the shop i work for, number 2 is most of the toyotas/lexus, honda/acuras, or Subarus i work on that use synthetic and go 7500 or more miles their oil is very dark. Every shop ive ever worked at recommend 5 months or 5,000 miles on synthetic. So what does everyone else do?
Also im curious about what maintenance you do yearly assuming you drive 12k? Yes I know of the maintenance schedule but it's more of a guideline.

For me:
Oil, filter, gasket every 3k
Tire rotation and balance 6k
Tire psi check weekly
General under hood and under car inspection weekly
Brake check every oil change
Clean aftermarket air filter every 6k
Check all fluids and condition 3k

List of maintenance i do at 12k
Valve adjustment and vc gasket
About to flush my brakes since im replacing the abs module with the pump- bad ground in the module
Front pads and rotors
Drain and fill the manual tranny( not sure when it was done, bought the car with 152k im at 163k)
Coolant replacement.
About to replace both axles the boots are worn and about to open up.
Would do spark plugs but i changed them when i got the car, about to do distributor and rotor/wires though.
Might be overkill but i dont pay for fluids only oem parts at a discount and my labor is free lol and i have lifts at work. Would do a alignment but my accord is too low for the rack so that i do have to pay for every 12k at the only shop in denver that i know of that does alignments on lowered cars.

I love this accord and want it to last, every honda ive owned has been accords from my first car 86 accord lxi, to a 91 accord lx than a 92 accord lx (both were stolen :( ) wont ever buy any other honda but accords. The rest of the cars were junk (91 sunbird, 05 santa fe, 01 cavalier, 91 dakota) except my 99 eclipse and 86 nissan pickup aka hardbody.

Last edited:

capsidx

Reaction score
I know the manuals usually say every 3000 miles or so but I don't always go by that. Sometimes before sometimes after but I try not to go past like 3500 miles before the next change. I always used Pennzoil conventional. One day I decided to try Pennzoil synthetic and the car started leaking from every pore. Im not sure if that's because I moved to Florida or if the viscosity was somehow different between the two but I still prefer conventional. I know there are added benefits to sunthetic so when I build a fresh motor to drop in I'll start it on synthetic. As for filters I usually use whatever I can get my hands on lol. As far as 12k maintenance I never really had a schedule but seeing your post motivates me to make a schedule so thanks for that.

Last edited:

Chichi

Reaction score
I never past the 3000 miles on my, I use valvoline synthetic bleed and k&n oil and filter, never change the bolt gasket and then rotate the tires after that the regular, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, washer fluid, etc.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Synthetic oil has more detergents in it, so it cleans out the stuff that keeps the seals from leaking, or so I've been told. There does seem to be a trend of increasing leaks after a switch to synthetic on a higher mileage motor.

With synthetic, you can generally go more mileage, which is supposed to be the advantage to it.

I might go to about 8,000 km (5,000 miles) between changes. My old Supra motor made it to 500,000 km before I dropped in something built for more power, but I also took care of things, and more frequent changes under heavier service.

Highway miles really are easier on the car, but a track day... Oil changes right before and after.

dawg316

Reaction score
use 10w30. or what evers the cheapest and on sale.

probably only change my oil once a year and thats usualy in summer when it isnt cold and freezing outside

Rest of the time i just add oil. swear i had the same oil filter on my f series since i bouhgt it 2 years ago

same process for all my cars i ever owned 300,000km on all of them

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
3k or 6 months on dino oil, whichever comes first

for synthetic, 5k or 6 months

paypalbid

Reaction score
27 miles to 200k miles conventional oil 10w-30 with Wix or Napa Gold filter changed 5k to 7k miles

200k miles to 414k miles 10w-40 Mobile 1 high mileage with Mobil 1 filter changed 7k to 10k

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i always used 5w30 castrol gtx high mileage and changed it every 3k miles, along with a new honda oil filter and drain bolt washer.

Back