6 gears > 4 [6spd + 3.2 swap]...completed.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
haha. Thanks for the tips though.

I posted my parts list I used recently, it has parts diagrams, part numbers, and quantities needed. Also a few notes that pertained to my swap (it is everything you need for a J32a2 w/7GA 6MT swap, though I found some parts cheaper elsewhere). Only problem is I accidentally attached it as a PDF in the middle of the thread somewhere, and then for some reason couldn’t reattach elsewhere. I think it’s in the 20’s somewhere, but it’s there. :lawl:

2.5 year update - after 2.5 years the swap is still solid. There have been a couple minor problems that came and went, meaning they stuck around for a week or so then literally fixed themselves haha. I’ll mention those below. Other than that, no issues, and NO check engine light (the CEL is actually on right now, but that’s because of the 1456 I can’t seem to get rid of :rolleyes:). Not sure what I’ll do when the clutch needs replacing, I guess since it’s an 7GA tranny it would just be replaced like any other 7GA 6MT so the dealer or a good shop should be fine.

Minor and temporary issues:
- A looong time ago it would stall out randomly when slowing down to a stop and I’d have to gas it to keep it running. This might have been non-swap related though.
- Twice, for a few days in a row, the module has buzzed when the clutch pedal was depressed.
- A couple times I have experienced idle surges. This one might also have not been swap related.
- Like many 7GA trannies, sometimes 3rd grinds a little. I noticed that changing the fluid sooner helps prevent this. Right now it’s smooth.
- Sometimes, randomly, I have to shift into Reverse two or three times to get it fully engaged. Pretty rarely though.

Overall car runs/shifts smoothly. I do have to confess that now I wish I would have gone with the LSD, on aggressive cornering it would come in handy. Still loving the car though, no regrets. I reallly enjoy the art of rev matching. :)

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score
Minor and temporary issues:
- A looong time ago it would stall out randomly when slowing down to a stop and I’d have to gas it to keep it running. This might have been non-swap related though.

Everyone once in a while, only after the initial startup, I'll back out of my driveway, enter first, and engine sounds like it's not getting enough gas. I normally just drop it out of gear and put it back in and it's fine. I've also been lazy and haven't rewired the Fuel Tank Pressure sensors since I passed inspection. It may be related and I'll report back sometime after rewiring them.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
5 year update - none of the above problems persist, except sometimes (rarely) I get a false shift into reverse, and I have to put it in N and then shift into R again. This is one reason I"m glad I left the indicator for reverse gear intact from when the car was auto, because if it lights up I know I'm in R and don't have to "find out".

Sick gauges bro! Where can I find the ones you have?

you did splendidly on the swap.

They are white gauge overlays from whitegauges.net. I bought them from their Ebay store but you can also buy them from their website.

Everyone once in a while, only after the initial startup, I'll back out of my driveway, enter first, and engine sounds like it's not getting enough gas. I normally just drop it out of gear and put it back in and it's fine. I've also been lazy and haven't rewired the Fuel Tank Pressure sensors since I passed inspection. It may be related and I'll report back sometime after rewiring them.

So when you press on the accelerator what happens? I have something like that where I press the accelerator and the revs/speedo don't move. And if I hold the pedal down it eventually will jerk hard and pull normally and then drive fine (only did that a couple times to find out what would happen if I kept the pedal depressed). What I do is what you said, take it out of gear and put it back in, or I'll shift up and it's fine.

It usually only happens when crawling (like through a parking lot) and then accelerating. But not always.

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score
So when you press on the accelerator what happens? I have something like that where I press the accelerator and the revs/speedo don't move. And if I hold the pedal down it eventually will jerk hard and pull normally and then drive fine (only did that a couple times to find out what would happen if I kept the pedal depressed). What I do is what you said, take it out of gear and put it back in, or I'll shift up and it's fine.

It usually only happens when crawling (like through a parking lot) and then accelerating. But not always.

Exactly. I was really hoping it wasn't just mine. I've never reacted by flooring it. I leave for work at 4am, so the J32 jumping above 4K RPMs in 1st gear wouldn't make my neighbors very happy. lol

rooky

Reaction score
Hey Red is the swap now complete or you going to rich to get it done? because your write up and posting pics after confuse me.:)

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Hey Red is the swap now complete or you going to rich to get it done? because your write up and posting pics after confuse me.:)

Well the pics show the J32 in my car, soo....:lawl: Yes it was done in 2011. :)

picard-facepalm.jpg

Tito_CG3

Reaction score
What transmission mounts did you use? I am in the process of doing the swap I have everything I am just having trouble with the transmission mounts

Back