speedometer reading backwards

Sitherus

Reaction score
so a couple of months ago i installed new gauge faces and removed my needles when i put them back on my speedometer was way off. so today when i go to fix it i jack the car up put it on jack stands then turn the car on making sure there is no rock so the car wont collapse. I took the window covering the gauge cluster out and turned on cruise. I gave it gas up to what it said was 43 mph and my odb2 read 20 so i pulled out the needle and put it back in at 20 then turned off cruise and let off the gas. when the car stopped instead of dropping from 20 to 0 it went to 40. so i did this a couple of times trying to figure out why it was reading backwards. no luck so i put the needle on the opposite side of the gauge now i have to do math when i'm driving or otherwise get quick help here to solve it before i unjack my car. and have somewhere to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze-arK4bGSc&feature=youtu.be
(this is my problem)

xci.ed6

Reaction score
all I can suggest is pull the needle & cluster cover. Install it like that, go for a drive, put it on with the key on/engine on (don't touch the key!).

See if it works then...

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yup, your screwed then.

The first time (when it was backwards) you may have flip-flopped a magnet, if that's what happened, I'm not surprised it died.

james'99

Reaction score
I don't know if you noticed, but there is clearly an issue independent of the needle because look at your coolant temp gauge. Unless it really was overheating from being in the garage with no airflow for so long.

Back