Power Steering Pump Failure or a Leak?

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
At full lock the pump will whine, that is normal. Glad to hear its nothing more than the pump. Check your power steering belt to see if it needs replacing with the pump.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I didn't say it was whining at full lock. I said that the pump seemed starved for PS fluid. As in, there was no PS fluid reaching the pump when it was at lock.

Everytime my wife would go to lock, no fluid came into the PS reservoir and when it left the lock, fluid would come gushing in and there would be air bubbles mixed in.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I didn't say it was whining at full lock. I said that the pump seemed starved for PS fluid. As in, there was no PS fluid reaching the pump when it was at lock.

Everytime my wife would go to lock, no fluid came into the PS reservoir and when it left the lock, fluid would come gushing in and there would be air bubbles mixed in.
This is because the rack is at full lock and doesn't need more fluid to pass thru it. Once you come off full lock, the fluid starts rushing thru the system, and bringing the air with it.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I ordered a new pump on Friday from RA. I should have it no later than Thursday according to shipping notification.

In the meantime, the current PS pump is making an awful bad grinding / rattling type noise at idle and the noises grow exponentially depending on the amount being turned by the steering wheel.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I did an oil change today and while I was under there, I tried looking around for a leak. I couldn't find one in any of the lines. But, I did find something out as to why I'm gushing PS fluid out of the system. Air is getting in from somewhere and it's causing the the PS fluid reservoir to bubble up and gush PS fluid out. That said, someone else mentioned to me, correctly I might add, where the leak is coming from is the PS fluid reservoir. However, it is only a symptom of the cause.

Like I said, I've found a small leak from behind the PS pump as a [likely] result of the PS pump seals (#17 and / or #18) having failed. Or, it could be from that small O-Ring (#15) I mentioned earlier in this thread. The entire area around the PS fluid reservoir is just coated in globs of PS fluid and gushing down to the bottom and when driving, of course, it all sprays back and onto the rest of the car's under carriage. Anyway, the entire under carriage is a hot mess down there in addition to the small oil leak I have coming from the gasket behind the oil filter adapter. That however, is a whole different can of worms.

8b83622ca17246b4cdd11753a6cf9c76.gif

Separately, is there any reason why to use Honda brand PS fluid over any other company? Like, for example when people use Honda brand coolant, it's because they say "it's 'Honda' brand, so use it", but they don't know why. The REASON why people use it over other brand coolants is because it's silicate free. Prestone concentrate and their 50/50 mix is silicate free coolant, so I'm OK using it. Coming off of that, is why I ask if there's a reason why to use Honda brand PS fluid? Does Honda brand PS fluid have something or not have something that other brand PS fluids have or don't have that is needed / not needed in Honda brand PS fluid?

Enne

Reaction score
I don't remember if it's the brake or PS fluid, but I remember hearing that other types can break down the lines on a Honda. Probably PS fluid.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
It's the PS fluid. I haven't heard anything about incompatibility with brake fluid.

The other fluid to worry about compatibility with is ATF. It has to be Z1 or (preferably) DW1 compliant fluid, which there are limited availability out in the open market.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Typically on these cars the o-ring (#15) causes the fluid to aerate. Other than that, #18 (return line) tends to rot out along with #17 (cooler). Rarely do we (at the dealer) see the feed line go bad (#4) but the o-ring on it (#22) can go bad or dry out over time causing leaks.

This goes for 99% of the Honda's on the road that we've come across at the dealership.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Separately, is there any reason why to use Honda brand PS fluid over any other company? Like, for example when people use Honda brand coolant, it's because they say "it's 'Honda' brand, so use it", but they don't know why. The REASON why people use it over other brand coolants is because it's silicate free. Prestone concentrate and their 50/50 mix is silicate free coolant, so I'm OK using it. Coming off of that, is why I ask if there's a reason why to use Honda brand PS fluid? Does Honda brand PS fluid have something or not have something that other brand PS fluids have or don't have that is needed / not needed in Honda brand PS fluid?

The Honda PS fluid seems to keep the pump quieter, and it might have some extra stuff in it that keeps the hoses and "O" rings lubed.

As for using Prestone anti-freeze, I wouldn't. Prestone has changed it's formula to that of GM's Dexcool, which is the absolute worst stuff you can run in an engine. Even the GM guys are getting rid of it, as it clogs heater cores and engine blocks. It forms a crystal like substance, and just keeps getting worse the longer it's in place. I don't know about the blue Honda stuff, but it wouldn't surprise if it did it too. I've been using Peak in everything for the last 10 years or so without any problems in my GM's, and 4 years now in my Hondas.:shrug:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Honda PS fluid seems to keep the pump quieter, and it might have some extra stuff in it that keeps the hoses and "O" rings lubed.

As for using Prestone anti-freeze, I wouldn't. Prestone has changed it's formula to that of GM's Dexcool, which is the absolute worst stuff you can run in an engine. Even the GM guys are getting rid of it, as it clogs heater cores and engine blocks. It forms a crystal like substance, and just keeps getting worse the longer it's in place. I don't know about the blue Honda stuff, but it wouldn't surprise if it did it too. I've been using Peak in everything for the last 10 years or so without any problems in my GM's, and 4 years now in my Hondas.:shrug:

The Honda coolant does not crystalise nor do we ever have problems with it.

Back