Gas pedal response messed up

phi1542

Reaction score
I'll verify the part number later on. Though if you were to disconnect that cable from the throttle now, if that cable is indeed the problem, it should become easy to press that lever when the cable is disconnected.

Ok thanks! How do you remove it? I saw on YouTube you just take out the wire and push the end of it out. I can unhook the cable but I can't detach it.

james'99

Reaction score
Ok thanks! How do you remove it? I saw on YouTube you just take out the wire and push the end of it out. I can unhook the cable but I can't detach it.

Not sure what you mean. You can unhook it from the throttle body? But you can't detach it from what?

Correct P/N is 17910-S87-A02

The one you have is for a 4 cylinder sedan.

phi1542

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. You can unhook it from the throttle body? But you can't detach it from what?

Correct P/N is 17910-S87-A02

The one you have is for a 4 cylinder sedan.

Never mind haha I couldn't detach it from that lever you pull back to rev the engine. Not sure what it's called but since I couldn't do it I just cleaned the throttle body and it worked! It's like I'm driving a new car haha thanks!

james'99

Reaction score
Never mind haha I couldn't detach it from that lever you pull back to rev the engine. Not sure what it's called but since I couldn't do it I just cleaned the throttle body and it worked! It's like I'm driving a new car haha thanks!

Perfect! Let us know if there are any further issues!

phi1542

Reaction score
Perfect! Let us know if there are any further issues!

I followed the instructions to clean the throttle body in the video you attateched. It helped for a little while but it came back. Idk what happen there. Did I not clean it enough or is it the cable? I sprayed a good amount of carb cleaner and wiped it with a towel and scrubbed it with a toothbrush too =T

james'99

Reaction score
I followed the instructions to clean the throttle body in the video you attateched. It helped for a little while but it came back. Idk what happen there. Did I not clean it enough or is it the cable? I sprayed a good amount of carb cleaner and wiped it with a towel and scrubbed it with a toothbrush too =T

Can you possibly remove the throttle body and do the backside?

My whole thing is it clearly did something. I think you have ruled out the cable though.

phi1542

Reaction score
Crap... Sorry, I forgot you had the P0420... Have you checked for exhaust leaks before the cat. Fresh air sucking in can also cause an issue.

Yes... The upstream could cause it, but highly unlikely and very indirectly.

The link you provided is for the downstream sensor which would/will be the correct one if everything else checks out. Your original video may also point us to a clogged catalytic converter now that I think about it. xci, what do you think of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHlU9WNha4&feature=youtu.be

V6 Upstream (Before Cat, On Header/Downpipe): Click Here, Denso 234-4727

V6 Downstream (On Cat): Click Here, Denso 234-4621

Ever hear of an IR thermometer, phi?

572-2-c-02a-600x402.jpg

Basically, the test is that the cat should be at least a 100 degrees hotter at the tail end than the inlet end. Call it an oven of sorts. Basically, drive the car around a while, then get the IR thermometer nice and close to the front of the cat to reduce interference. Do the same thing for the rear. You'll do this on the actual piping as close as it gets to the actual cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VZ5K8n5jj0

I went to the exhaust shop to get my side branch resonator done and on the way there.... CEL came back..... It was good for a few weeks and then today happened. When I came home I scanned the code and it was the P0420. O2 sensors are changed (both) and there are no leaks in the exhaust. I got that checked out too. I used my temp gun to get a reading and cat seems to be doing to what it should be doing according to the video. The side near the flexpipe it was around the 300 area and the side going towards the cat back it was around the 400 area. It's a new cat so maybe I got a bad one? Its a magnaflow. The shop just got that one but its not a bolt on direct fit. They welded on the cat. I was going to check the voltage but I dont know how eric the car guy got to the screen. I have the Actron OBD II scanner

Oh and this is the cat I have: MagnaFlow Universal-Fit Catalytic Converter

I cleared the code and I was driving around for about an hour. Didn't come back. I checked the monitors on my scanner and everything was OK except EVAP. Whats evap?

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Not all Actron scanners have that particular capability. It has to be a two way scan tool. I have the Magnaflow direct fit on my 4 cyl and haven't had issues so if there are indeed no leaks, I'm not sure what else to say. My dad had a pinhole leak on his Tacoma right before the cat and took him forever to find the leak. He just wanted to replace the cat but I finally managed to convince him there was a leak and he did wind up finding one.

As for EVAP, it is meant to keep the vacuum on the fuel system keeping it closed off from the environment. Do you get a "pshhhh" when you take off your gas cap? The EVAP monitor won't go ready until you drive it with a full tank of gas or 3/4. Something like that.

phi1542

Reaction score
Not all Actron scanners have that particular capability. It has to be a two way scan tool. I have the Magnaflow direct fit on my 4 cyl and haven't had issues so if there are indeed no leaks, I'm not sure what else to say. My dad had a pinhole leak on his Tacoma right before the cat and took him forever to find the leak. He just wanted to replace the cat but I finally managed to convince him there was a leak and he did wind up finding one.

As for EVAP, it is meant to keep the vacuum on the fuel system keeping it closed off from the environment. Do you get a "pshhhh" when you take off your gas cap? The EVAP monitor won't go ready until you drive it with a full tank of gas or 3/4. Something like that.

I had a smog guy check for leaks. He plugged up the exhaust to check if smoke came out anywhere. No leaks so idk this is really bugging me. I read on a different thread on here that it may be because my after market cat doesn't run up to the specs my CPU expects it to. But Magnaflow is a good brand

Yeah when I take off the gas cap I always hear some air being released or something

Last edited:
Back