Turboing high mileage F23a4?

yellowfever

Reaction score
swap your tranny and go from there, your gonna be balls deep in that already you really dont need to try and orchestrate an entire overhall if you need this car to get you from point A to Point B everyday. Bring it to a shop that specificly does transmissions cause those guys do it non-stop so there very good at it and very fast which translates into a cheaper price for you and less time without your car. If your gonna invest that much money into an F23 biulding it up to be a badassmofo then you might wanna stop for a second and rethink your situation, is it possibly your maybe getting carried away with yourself? This is a single cam were talking about. I dont know your financial situation by any means but if your driving a 6thgen chances are your not made of money so if your really serious and you wanna overhaul it then stick with what you have for now since you just rebuilt the tranny anyway and save your pennys to swap in a CRVtec with a b16 tranny down the road???

StomoHonda

Reaction score
Amazing that no one gave a straight answer, I want to know as well. Accept my F23a4 is already 5speed, with 160,000 miles. I was looking to swap but no time nor money. Once I graduate from UTI then I will , which I just started. I just want to boost until my motor is almost dead. I already got a tuning kit, NGK, and valve adjustments. I know ill need new exhaust and intake manifold a long with an ecu. Can my engine handle it?

capsidx

Reaction score
Ok really? I had to read this one to make sure i read it correctly. 8-10 psi means NOTHING. Every turbo puts out different volumes and pressures based on turbine size and housing. 8-10 psi on a 62mm turbo and a 68mm turbo are different. Second, why waste money on a turbo kit right? And then buy another complete motor and build it. Why not build the one you have and do it correctly? Ever swap in a motor? It’s such a pain in the d1ck.

The best thing to do is build the one you have now assuming the cylinders are good, which for 120,000 they better be lol. So yea don’t waste 400 on “low mileage Jdm” motor and then rebuild it. That’s dumb. Let’s not forget this won’t be cheap to begin with. Expect to pay 1200 + for this build. You’ll also need another 5 or so for the 5 speed swap. You’ll need the turbo, the manifold blah blah but the most expensive part is the engine management. Without a tune that motor won’t make it around the corner. Especially if you slap on a turbo and set the wastegate for 8-10 psi without fully understanding how much volume that really is forcing into the cylinders. Also don’t forget you’ll probably need a missing link and a few other small odds and ends.

StomoHonda

Reaction score
Im in the same boat and i have come a long way when it
Comes to information so I came to a couple conclusions.

Im a rebuild my a4 and get an a1 ecu Im just going to
Aspirate the hell out of it for the reason that Im going to
Need these parts anyway. When I do a swap.
My swap is actually going to be the the g23 build
Which a great short cut , but that all comes down to preference.
The is forums for that is you would like to do that build
Since it calls for having the F23 block and since you have ityou are already a head. You can actually possibly make money if you buy the full H22 motor and re sale just the block since you only need the head and certain other parts from that engine. That comes down to luck or patience.
OR the F23 is a great candidate for forced induction. So if you do so you must turn it into a1 from a4 which is o2 sensors exhaust manifold intake manifold solenoid and a better fuel delivery system and ecu. All of this mind as well be aftermarket in perspective , which, like I said, you must do , even if you just plan to aspirate, specially to turbo. Has anyone done a procharger? Cause I am seriously thinking of it since its a heAvy car.
Also another random tip is have you looked at the H23 DOHC VTEC? Different from just the H23a1. And for some reason its so much cheaper. Have a good build bro!

Back