Manual Transmission Fluid(MTF) Change Procedures (photos)

NC Representa

Reaction score
This is almost as easy as an oil change, except you'll need to remove the right front tire, but there is no filter to change. Honda recommends changing the MTF @ 30K intervals.

Parts Needed:
1) Honda MTF part#08798-9031, $4.39/qt. Manual says 2 qts but buy 3 just in case. This is an improved formula since 2006, suppose to improve shifting quality.
2) Fill plug washer, part# 94109-20000, $.44
3) Drain plugwasher, part# 94109-14000, $.22

Tools Needed:
1) Jack
2) 17 mm wrench (for fill plug)
3) 3/8" socket wrench (for drain plug)
4) Drain pan
5) Tranmission fluid filling tube(see 3rd photo below)

Procedures:
1) Measure the vehicle's normal level height; you'll need to fill the fluid when the vehicle is at a level stance in step #7:
MTFChange001.jpg

2) Jack up the car & remove the right front tire. Make sure you place tire stoppers before jacking up the car, and if you're using the factory jack, use in conjunction with another jack stand as a safety precaution.

3) Place drain pan under the drain & fill plugs (photo showing drain & fill plugs):
MTFChange003.jpg

4) Remove the fill plug using the 17 mm wrench. You'll want to make sure you can remove this plug first, in case if you cannot remove this plug, you didn't already drain the MTF and not able to put in any fluid.

5) Remove the drain plug using the 3/8" socket wrench to drain the MTF. This plug has a square hole and the 3/8" socket fits right in. You may want to lower the jack to allow a more complete drain. After the fluid is depleted, replace the washer in the plug then reinstall the drain plug. Raise the vehicle back to the normal level height.

6) Fit the "transmission fluid tube" onto the MTF bottle. It's a perfect fit. I prefer this type than the pump, because (1)it's easier to let the gravity work for you and (2)you won't have much fluid remain in the tube, (3) it's a lot less messier. It also have a another fitting for the bigger 5 qts containers.
MTFChange008.jpg

7) Fill her up! Pour the MTF into the fill hole by inserting the tip of the tube into the fill hole then open the valve by turning the control on the filler tube. until it over flows. This will take about 2 qts or a little more if you don't waste any fluid.
MTFChange010.jpg

8) Tighten the fill plug with a washer. Put the tire back and you're done.:)

Ps. Before putting the tire back, might as well check the wear on the brake pads.

Bearcat, thanks for the write up. Where can I find that particular fluid (Honda MTF part#08798-9031)? I could only find Honda MTF part#08798-9031A.

Last edited:

TheMole

Reaction score
Great write-up! I was about to do this, but found that the 17mm filler bolt on my 99 coupe was stripped. Went ahead and looked up a replacement bolt from Honda (part # 92800-20000), but looks like it is a 20mm instead of a 17mm? Did they change this or is it a mistake?

twofast4u

Reaction score
i believe both drain and refill plugs are different sizes. Are you sure you got the right part#

TheMole

Reaction score
i believe both drain and refill plugs are different sizes. Are you sure you got the right part#

Yea the drain plug lists 14mm, but the refill plug lists 20mm. I looked it up by the diagram at first then pulled the part number.

#15 in the below diagram

13s8201_m02.png

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
For the drain bolt use 3/8 ratchet and refill bolt its a 17mm......don't know know and seriously doubt its a 20mm for either one of them.

TheMole

Reaction score
So I got the fill bolt in the mail today and it is a 17mm. Not sure why they list as 20mm. :confused:

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Damn, all the pictures in this thread are removed :( Are there any other guides for this?

BLACK DEATH

Reaction score
This was a bish to do.
That damn 17mm bolt was hard to get off and idk if its ever been off before.
It's just in a spot that you can't get much leverage on. It was easier to use an open end 17mm wrench, get it on good n hit it a few times with a hammer. That's what helped me get it loose.

Back