supercharger.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
My buddies Civic.

Done all the work himself including the paint. I don't have any engine shots but I promise you it's all there, built and supercharged. I think this was right after he got done brushing it.

ct4.jpg

ct5.jpg

cg6boi

Reaction score
anything that adds power is great, on the c you can just run smaller pulleys to get more boost and/or less lag and vise versa i believe so i dont think it really matters the displacement of the engine, or number of cylinders

theaccordian

Reaction score
displacement does matter for superchargers unfortunately because its driven directly by teh crankshaft via a belt. thats why mustangs and sh*t can get ridiculous amounts if power with a blower,where a little 1.6 civic motor will give you like 40-50 hp, it takes power to make power as the sayin goes.

anybody consider the e-ram electrical superchargers?

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/buyersguide.shtml

Last edited:

N4TECguy

Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
Explain the Si superchargers..My friend runs just under 400whp on his Jackson Racing supercharger. Built motor of course, but the SC still boosts the power by quite abit.
I don't recall ever saying that superchargers don't boost power...I said they have parasitic drag losses that aren't ideal for use on an I4. The S/C on Mercedes AMG 5.4L motors (past E55, S55, etc 450-500HP) suck 100+HP according to Mercedes/Car and Driver. That means, if they ran a turbo setup at the same boost levels, they would be making 600HP.

It's true superchargers make power down low...but if you do a turbo setup properly you can do that. Not sure how feasible it is to add such a well designed setup to a motor, especially if you're looking to produce big power up top too since low end power with little lag means small turbo means dead top end.

Last edited:

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Well true, but that turbo 600hp would come later in the RPM's compared to the supercharged version? I guess that's why many go with twin turbo's rather than one large one?

N4TECguy

Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
Well true, but that turbo 600hp would come later in the RPM's compared to the supercharged version? I guess that's why many go with twin turbo's rather than one large one?
It might or might not come later...but it shouldn't be that big a difference. I think what you mean is that a big turbo would have a lot of lag..and that's true. And yup that's why people use twin turbos, like the new 335i. It uses 2 small low inertia turbos and they spool almost instantly...peak torque is produced by 1400RPM and stays until 5000RPM.

Back