2002 Accord CPS fix

SPACEDOGB

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have a 2002 Accord SE. I brought it to a repair shop for a blown head gasket. While inside i asked for them to replace the timing belt and all associated parts. When i picked the car up I was unable to go above 3000 rpm and the CEL was on. I was told that I needed to have my Crank Position Sensor replaced. I brought it in last week they now are telling me that the Crank Position Sensor shorted out the "computer" and that even though it runs and drives it won't go above 3000rpm until I spend $900 on a used computer. Does this sound right or is someone giving me the run around? I'm low on cash and I'm trying to fix this car up to give to a family who have a disabled child and no vehicle. Any help would be appreciated.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
If u drove it there without these problems they ****ed something up tell them to fix it.. I would go nutz and start trashing the place lol

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i can't help much with your problem, but the fact that they allowed you to take the car while it was broken like that would've made me never go back. i'd take it somewhere else, maybe even the dealer if you don't know of any good shops in your area. i'd stay far away from that place.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Good call on having them do the timing belt and water pump while they were in there.

New OEM Honda ECU's can be bought for $694.00 online @ BK Honda.
http://www.bkhondaparts.com/honda/accord-sedan/37820paaa54/2002-year/se-trim/4-speed-automatic-engine/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/control-unit-cabin-scat/?part_name=control-module-engine

So used @ $900.00 is no good. More than likely that may be a "remanufactured or rebuilt" ECU they are trying to sell you. EBAY has plenty of used ECU's taken out of a wrecked car at around $100.00. I currently run a ECU out of a wrecked car for my 01 Accord that I bought from EBAY, no problems after 4 years.

** If you buy a used one, 1 issue that you may come across is the Barometer Sensor in the ECU, sometimes they go bad. Near Sea level altitude you will have no issues. At higher altitudes, it may run funny because the barometer sensor does not detect that change in altitude and it will not know to adjust the fuel trim/mixture.

If you want to verify if that shop is either just throwing parts at it to try and fix it or if they are trying to rob you do this:
Go down there and have them scan the OBDII to check for error codes and STAND RIGHT BESIDE THE GUY AND WATCH THEM DO IT. Look at the scanner for the code and then write the code down. You can check those codes online. They are just a general system code, so they won't tell you EXACTLY what is wrong.

Last edited:

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Honestly buy your own scan tool best 200 bucks I ever spent saves u time and money scan it your self then Google is your best friend

Back