"Crackling" Engine Noise

KILLI

Reaction score
Hi!

For some time now, my engine has been producing some weird noise when warmed up, which has gotten worse lately. It sounds like a kind of "crackling" in conjunction with a "rough running sound".
This is only heard when revving up the engine (you don't need much throttle for this).

When the engine is cold, it's perfect quiet and smooth. When warming up, it starts with this "rough" sound - seemingly from the rear cylinder bank. Then the unregular crackling develops and gets worse (louder / more frequent) the warmer the engine gets.
Inside the car you don't hear or notice anything wrong; the car drives smooth and quiet. Only when driving inside a parking garage for example (i.e. in a quiet environment) one can hear those noises.

Please have a look at this vid I made today (please disregard the occasional wind noise): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIS2_qyeMcw
You can't actually hear the "rough" sound, but the crackling.

Oil level is perfectly ok. I'm using Motul 5W-40 fully synthetic since I got the car about 25.000km (~15.000 miles) ago. (http://www.motul.com/system/product...iginal/8100_X-cess_5W-40_(GB).pdf?1357663396=

Any help in identifying this noise is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Michael

P.S.: Of course I've been at the dealership because of this noise, but they apparently have no clue. They say I should try with another oil, but in my opinion the oil I'm using is perfectly fine for this car and shouldn't be the reason for these noises.
P.P.S: The car is a 2002 Accord Coupé V6 with separate ignition coils for each cylinder.

Last edited:

KILLI

Reaction score
Nope, it's everything from 5W-30 to 20W-50, according to the manual. This is a 6th-Gen Accord Coupé with the J30A1 engine. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agginline86

Reaction score
Nope, it's everything from 5W-30 to 20W-50, according to the manual. This is a 6th-Gen Accord Coupé with the J30A1 engine. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ah missed the v6 part haha. and I'm in so.cal so i can get away with 5w20 year round :p

bump for this dude!

KILLI

Reaction score
Huh, don't you have nice, warm weather in Socal all year round? A xW-40/50 or at least -30 should be suited better then?

Does nobody have a clue as to where this noise is coming from? What's the probability that the fuel injectors or ignition coils are causing it?

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
That doesn't sound good. Perhaps it's the sound of the Vtec trying to engage the pins??? Although I though it did that at higher engine speeds.

Have you had the valve clearances done? or DIY'ed? These motors need the valves checked at least every 40K miles. Not the 100K miles they say in the book - they are screw and locknut design - not hydraulic or overhead cam.

KILLI

Reaction score
Yes, Valve clearances have been done approx. 8k miles ago, when replacing the timing belt. All has been done at a Honda Dealership.

Could it still be something VTEC-related though this noise is present way below the VTEC-switchover point at 3.500rpm?

Back