auto tranny flush

lyttleviet

Reaction score
a Honda flush does not use additives etc etc... It is done like said above.. Fill drive through gears, drain. they do that 3x.

olivesomra

Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding...

I need to drain and refill the transmission three times?

-Drain refill
-shift through gears
-drain refill
-shift through gears
-drain refill
-shift through gears...

thats a lot of fluid...and i know its not cheap at the Honda dealer...

ne cheaper alternative fluid?

cajun

Reaction score
You got it. Instead of shifting through the gears you could just drive the car around for a few days between drain/refills to ensure that the new fluid has mixed in. I just do one drain/refill every other oil change to keep the fluid looking new.

You could go with a cheaper fluid, but with our fragile 6thGen AT's it's not worth it. Each drain/refill takes ~2.7qts and Honda ATF is $5/qt at my dealer.

olivesomra

Reaction score
You got it. Instead of shifting through the gears you could just drive the car around for a few days between drain/refills to ensure that the new fluid has mixed in. I just do one drain/refill every other oil change to keep the fluid looking new.

You could go with a cheaper fluid, but with our fragile 6thGen AT's it's not worth it. Each drain/refill takes ~2.7qts and Honda ATF is $5/qt at my dealer.

thanks to cajun,

ok just in case anyone wants to DIY, thats what the plug looks like...

IMG00101.jpg

I drained and put in 3 quarts...Will drain and refill again, prolly on my next oil change.

FIY- 9 quarts of Honda ATF cost me about $75

note: my car is 1999 Coupe V6 auto.......manual 4 cyl has the transmission plug on the passenger side.

:andy:

Last edited:

ShutOutTheSky

Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking through the master DIY list here. I know our economy is **** now but I just got back from Honda and they billed me $30 for 3 quarts. That's double the $5/qt. you guys are talking about. Am I getting ripped off here?

Back