DIY: Using OEM Fog Switch with Civic Harness and Foglights

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
So after looking around for a bit I decided to try this.

Difficulty: 3 [1-10] Basically you need to be able to use shrinkwrap, electrical tape, and be coordinated in small fine movements.

Time: 30 Minutes at most.

Materials needed:
  • OEM Fog Switch
  • Radio Shack 'D-Sub Connectors'
  • Electrical Tape & Shrinkwrap
  • Matches or Lighter for Shrinkwrap
  • Knife or Wire Stripper
  • A little bit of wire (snipets)

img6719mu2.jpg

Process:

* First of all - please disconnect your battery before hooking up the wires, especially if you are tapped into the car's power source, as opposed to having a seperate line straight to the battery like I decided to do.

** Fitting the OEM switch in the slot furthest to the right will not fit - for some reason the rightmost slot is a little narrower than the middle and left slots.

1)Initially, I prepared the snipets of wire - stripped both ends, ready to fix to connector and car harness.

2) Installing the connectors was easy - I used a pair of vice-grips to crimp them.

3) I used shrinkwrap or electrical tape to make sure all connections were separate and covered.

img6721kw3.jpg

4) This is the switch with my connectors attached, ready to be spliced into the civic harness:

img6725us3.jpg

5) The diagram I used for the OEM switch pinout was borrowed from ej3ffrey on V6P; see below.

46852964cm5.jpg

The generic eBay 01-03 Civic Fog Light Harness has 4 wires, just like the above diagram (blue and black/red are combined as you can see).

The following wires are corresponding to the above ^ diagram, with orientation of the fog switch as if it was right side up.

Civic : OEM
Black : Black
Red (with orange stripe) : Orange
N/A (since it's combined with black/red) : Blue
Black/red : Black/red
Red : Red

After connecting it this way, the switch works beautifully! It also sits as flush as the Cruise switch. It was made to be there :).
This is the result:

img6728bq8.jpg

The fog image is not illuminated when headlights are turned on (I think the corresponding bulb is burnt), though the green light does come on when the fog switch is in the 'on' position.

I hope this helps people when trying to use aftermarket harnesses with their OEM fog switch. I have wanted to do this for a long time and finally have. Rep if you find this useful. Thank you. :thumbsup:

- Nikita

Last edited:

bigtp3

Reaction score
nice work. need to order switch now.

and why make 2 threads?:)
:coffee:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
The other thread was just to gather information... which didn't really help much, as the only person who actually knew anything was Hancockd (Thanks!).

:coffee:

Mods: can you delete that other thread please.

Last edited:

deucescorner

Reaction score
thanks for the write up, if my car doesn't sell before winter then i will definitely to this.

so you had to move the cruise switch to the far left? weird

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Well it was either the fog switch, or cruise switch on far left. In other words - the innermost slot should stay blank, or sunroof switch should be there, because that's what it is made for. The middle and left slots can be used for cruise/fog interchangeably.

CG6-WASABI

Reaction score
very clean :thumbsup: i had my fogs professionally installed but they used the civic switch that came with the fogs and it as we all know it doesnt fit like its suppose to lol is it still possible to switch the civic switch to an oem accord switch??? cuz my switch looks crappy, i fitted it in myself some how lol straight up micky mouse lol

Back