Spring shock suggestion for a minimal drop...

001Stunna

Reaction score
A close friend of mine recently became the new-found owner of a '02 accord and is considering dropping it with sacrificing as little comfortability as possible. He was planning on cutting his springs but after a long conversations it was decided against that lolz. I mentioned to him coilovers (ie. FFs, AMRs, Tein, KSport) but he is looking at quite a minimal drop of about 1.5-2finger gap all around instead of the whole fist oem gap.

I suggested him coils but he wasn't too keen on on the whole adjusting thing and worrying about things getting seized and etc.

I told him to take a look at pretty much the Eibach ProKit (F1.5/R1.5), H&R Sport(F1.5/R1.2), Tein H.Tech(1.4F/1.3R), Neuspeed Sport(1.8/1.7)...and for shocks to go with either Tokico Blue or Illumina or Koni Sport(Yellow).

Ideas/suggestions on what combo to run for the above mentioned objectives...:run:

finch13

Reaction score
Tell him to nut up or shut up.

Does he understand that in order to get one thing you usually have to sacrifice something else? No such thing as the best of both worlds... there's a reason why as you go lower, things get stiffer.

lashlee

Reaction score
I don't know if the springs are still available but I've used Neuspeed SofSport springs for years, literally. I've got some kyb struts to go with them but I've put around 180k on mine with no complaints. My wife even thinks that the accord rides better than our new fit!

Don't forget that tire/wheel size will also play a big role in how rough the ride is. The stock springs will feel rough with a 19 and a 30 series tire!!

Drift

Reaction score
I recommend keeping your stock springs, but getting some Koni adjustable struts instead. You can evenly lower the car by one inch from and back and get some awesome handling struts too.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Tell him to nut up or shut up.

Does he understand that in order to get one thing you usually have to sacrifice something else? No such thing as the best of both worlds... there's a reason why as you go lower, things get stiffer.
Saw him today at my afternoon job and well i think he understands it can't be exactly like stock comfortability and yet lower. He's just doesn't want to give more then needed for a minimal drop...which i kind of understand knowing how some streets are in here.

Don't forget that tire/wheel size will also play a big role in how rough the ride is. The stock springs will feel rough with a 19 and a 30 series tire!!
He is running on 195/65 R15...prob will be going to either 205/55 R16 or 205/50 R17.

I recommend keeping your stock springs, but getting some Koni adjustable struts instead. You can evenly lower the car by one inch from and back and get some awesome handling struts too.
Shall suggest that tomorrow afternoon :).

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Close to stock ride isn't too hard to obtain with a spring/strut combo. I am on Yellows and Pro Kits and have no complaints. The wheel tire combo he will have will be great for keeping most of the OEM comfort.

fyi, with Yellows on their softest setting, the ride is 20% stiffer.

Yardley

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a moderate drop and was recommended Tein-S Tech springs with Tokico Blue Shocks. Does anyone have this setup or something similar? I'd love to see some pic's, I need a minimal drop cause I might sell the car in the near future.

BTW I know that it's best not to drop if selling but I have to replace my suspension since its shot anyway and I'd rather buy something with a bit of a drop in case I do keep the car.

Thanks!

av6_sm1ke

Reaction score
Prokits on OEM shocks feel very close to stock as far as a comfortable ride is concerned. You can really only notice a difference in cornering and over small/rough bumps and dips. However, on a V6 it still leaves about a 3 finger gap.

If he wants a 2 finger gap, tell him to get Tein S-Techs (2" drop) and Koni Yellows (additional - .8" height adjustable, if he wants, plus they're damper adjustable). The ride will be more stiff than the Prokit springs, but he'll definitely be in the 1.5-2 finger gap range. You can also get Eibach Sportlines, which drop about the same amount as Tein S-Techs, but apparently the S-Techs are a softer spring, which would help a little if he wants a more comfortable ride.

5spd'r

Reaction score
I thought Koni Yellows were adjustable 28mm total and only 14mm for extra drop, figuring they come in the middle setting. The Super Cup kit is supposed to be more maybe?

Back