JDM F23 Swap (the fall and rise of my accord)

Pat

Reaction score
He took it out through the top with the tranny already disconnected.

As for the mechanic himself, he didn't know he had to use the original intake manifold and exhaust manifolds, so when he put the new motor in, nothing lined up, had to take it out, and swap the manifolds. On this site in a different spot they say you have to use your USDM manifolds. I didn't know that when I gave it to him or I would have warned him.

The coolant issue is fixed, two small leaks because of bad clamps and then an air bubble. the oil and coolant haven't moved in a couple thousand kms.

Slowfinger, I am very happy I did this to my car, however, it did cost almost 2 grand all said and done. Keep that in mind when deciding if you should do it or not. Everything else on my car is in great shape and has been replaced recently (clutch, brakes etc), so it was worth it for me.

Slowfinger

Reaction score
Hey Pat, thanks for the reply. Well, it looks like I'll pulling it out from the top then! :) I'll see if I can disconnect the tranny to! But I do have to change the lower front ball joints. $2k is decent, if like you said that the rest of the car is in good shape! I figure I'll be putting in about $1200 for the engine plus some extras, I do want to change the clutch and water pump also. I just spent last summer about $800 on a new exhaust! I guess if I knew now back when I was looking to buy this Accord, I would of just spent the extra money and gotten something newer! lol As for the air bubble, try this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpXgAJ1gjU or here's another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NReU4wqdK5w

Last edited:

J0hnalex

Reaction score
So how much do you guys think a shop hours charge. Im in a similar boat i have a 01 accord that burns oil like crazy! So i think im going to take the plunge! Kinda excited to get rid of the ulev engine to get these unknown engine ponies lol!

So i can get a used f23 jdm engine for 350 and im hoping its a direct fit! Ugh could anyone give me some advice some stuff to look out for and tips!?

Pat

Reaction score
As stated earlier, you'll need to swap your original intake and exhaust manifold, and get a couple gaskets for those as well as some coolant pieces.

Seems its gonna cost anywhere from 1000-2000. My shop did it for about 1500 but that included putting a new timing belt and water pump on. Plus the cost of the motor.

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Dam I would say u got a little over charged I did everything for a little under 1000
Remember they're talking Canadian dollars, not USD :thumbsup:

I'm getting ready to drop mine in either this week or next weekend, very excited! @ Pat, thank you for reminding me to get gaskets for the manifolds.. but what do you mean by "as well as some coolant pieces?"

Pat

Reaction score
Sorry, been away.
The main coolant connection which goes from the rad to your block. That piece has to be swapped and there is a little rubber ring gasket that costs 2 bucks..

and yes, I am talking canadian dollars.

J0hnalex

Reaction score
Hey guys so happy for finding this thred! but question. Im currently in the middle of doing this swap. i had the f23a4 swaping to the jdm f23 d
can i use my stock ecu? if not what ecu should i tru to find!
-Thanks

Back