P1259 cel, No vtec yo:[

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
How could vtec not engauging damage ur valves? It does nothing to them if its not working. Grade of oil has nothing to do with vtec working or not. Cats dont rob power unless they are clogged, ull gain maybe 3-4 with it removed. Been there done that, wasted my time.

4 cylinder hondas all have valvetrain noise, its just the nature of the valvetrain design. Valve adjustments will help but wont eliminate noise on an 10yr+ old engine.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Are you leaking oil anywhere?

No

How could vtec not engauging damage ur valves? It does nothing to them if its not working. Grade of oil has nothing to do with vtec working or not. Cats dont rob power unless they are clogged, ull gain maybe 3-4 with it removed. Been there done that, wasted my time.

4 cylinder hondas all have valvetrain noise, its just the nature of the valvetrain design. Valve adjustments will help but wont eliminate noise on an 10yr+ old engine.

The thing is, it's not that it isn't engaging. It is just malfunctioning. It still engages, but it is now making a loud ticking sound. I can understand if an old car has a noise, but my car sounded perfect one day, and had the ticking the next. And the only reason I want to do a valve adjustment is because i've checked all the things that people say fixed this problem for them, but nothing has worked.(also because it has been 126k miles and i'm not sure it has ever been done before)

If I can't figure it out after trying a few more things, I might just break down and take it to the stealership.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Take the valve cover off and check the vtec mechanisim, btter yet take pictures

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Did a valve adjustment today(took pics while the cover was off. i'll upload them when i get home) and it did absolutly nothing. Due to other complications it was also a major pain in my ***. All I can think of now is new solenoid, and new oil pressure switch. If those don't fix my problem then i'm done trying myself, because i'm already frustraded enough.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Kinda late, but here are pics as requested. As far as I can tell everything is in good shape. Had my instructor look at it too, but he isn't exactally an expert on hondas so maybe somone will catch something we didn't see.

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Bump, No input? Really tryin to get this fixed. Summer is coming up and I can work on it without having to worry about it being undrivable for a few days. Any help is appreciated.

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score
Pretty clean under the valve cover. I see nothing wrong. I SEE. i dont know, Lost motion assemblies make alot of noise when they get saggy. Provided you have spring one not hydraulic. And... If i was you, if you have not cleaned the screen, just get a new one. Then take off the Vtec solenoid, and try to push that plunger down, it should move. Then check the oil pressure switch. then connector. Then... I have no idea. Clean your air filter. My car threw a Vtec malfunction code, p1259 or whatever. Something like that, Turned out to be an air restriction. Bleh. Cleaned Filter, Life is good.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
I still get the same code roughly every 500 miles. However I'm losing coolant too along with all the oil the car is burning. I think I have a cracked head gasket so I'm taking it to a mechanic at the end of the month to get it checked out

Back