oil leak? passenger side

cj92

Reaction score
I have a 98 accord 2.3L vtec automatic transmission sedan I noticed what appears to be an oil leak ( it leaves a puddle the size of a quarter) it appears to be on the passenger side ive crawled under it and looked but am having trouble locating it i took some pictures to see if it would help but no luck so. I wanted you guys opinion. http://s1260.beta.photobucket.com/user/c_hickman1/library/98%20accord

001Stunna

Reaction score
Check for leaks under/around vtec solenoid; under around distributor o-ring; under around oil pressure switch; around valve cover gasket

cj92

Reaction score
I forgot to mention i just changed plugs & wires along with cap & rotor no oil to be seen there and I'll double check vtec solenoid & valve cover gasket tomorrow, also when i checked the transmission fluid and engine oil they really didn't seem low

619rcr

Reaction score
From the looks of your photos, its been leaking a while. Try spraying down all that buildup with some degreaser & hose it off. It will make looking for the source easier. Also try using a mirror & look for a source near the back of the motor. My old F23 leaked about a quart a month. Gaskets that leaked on my car were valve cover, before i replaced it; distributor o ring, oil pan and rear main seal. I also had a pretty bad leak at the oil pressure switch (above the oil filter). I solved them all with a motor swap. Good luck.

cj92

Reaction score
Ok I checked and im almost certain it is from the top of my vtec solenoid where the 3 bolts are how do i fix this i cant find the o ring solenoid gasket to fix it

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
Ok I checked and im almost certain it is from the top of my vtec solenoid where the 3 bolts are how do i fix this i cant find the o ring solenoid gasket to fix it

Go to Honda they will have it, if not they can order it in.

619rcr

Reaction score

The top of the solenoid doesn't have a gasket. The side does. If the top is leaking you'd have to replace the whole solenoid. I suggest replacing the side gaskets first and rechecking. They are about $8. the solenoid is about $108. So you probably wanna make sure.

001Stunna

Reaction score
OP, on the vtec solenoid there's a few seals which can leak.
The o-ring that seals the switch
91319-PAA-A01

The gasket that mates with the engine
15825-P0A-015

The gaskets that seals the top cover/solenoid. This, honda does not sell separately. What some have done is used some gasket maker in a tube along with the original somewhat worn gasket. Some dealers have used part# "36172-poa-005" which was meant for the 5th gen accords.

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
I am also in the process of replacing my Vtec solenoid gasket. Does anyone know if there are torque specs for this? Couldn't find anything.

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
From reading prelude and 5th gen accord forums, it looks like the torque spec is 104in.lb. or 8.7 ft. lb.

Back