car jerks in the morning from reverse to drive

truWarier02

Reaction score
That is normal autotragic operation. Just let the car warm up a little before shifting out of park, especially when it’s cold. And when you are moving the gear lever between P,R,N,D always do it slowly and let the lever sit in each position for a second or two before moving to the next.

I do the same. It is a good habit to pick up. Bugs the shit out of me when people shift from park to drive super fast without letting each gear engage first, and especially when people are reversing and shift into drive while the car is still rolling backwards. :banghead:

Just drained/filled ATF for the first time several weeks ago and it has minimized/eliminated the jerking as the gears engage.

themachine

Reaction score
I do the same. It is a good habit to pick up. Bugs the shit out of me when people shift from park to drive super fast without letting each gear engage first, and especially when people are reversing and shift into drive while the car is still rolling backwards. :banghead:

Just drained/filled ATF for the first time several weeks ago and it has minimized/eliminated the jerking as the gears engage.

looked at my oil, seems to be on the low side..refilled it. It helped for sure. Took it to my mechanic, obviously car couldn't reproduce the effect..all gears were shifted smoothly. He said probably the idle is too high and make sure to keep it idled for a bit longer. IF not, i will have to leave the car with him overnight so he can test it first thing in the morning.

Thinking about doing a drain/refill again.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah...

They make dex3, dex4, mercon, etc..., all are red, none are the same.

themachine

Reaction score
Yeah...

They make dex3, dex4, mercon, etc..., all are red, none are the same.

I only use Honda ATF, never used anything else..but i think its the pressure switch. Going to check that this coming week. Might need to change it.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Perfect! Too many people (even shops) dump dex3 in. Takes 3 D&Fs to fix (9 quart capacity, 3qt per).

themachine

Reaction score
Perfect! Too many people (even shops) dump dex3 in. Takes 3 D&Fs to fix (9 quart capacity, 3qt per).

i heard that..i had one of my old mechanic try to put that in my car years ago..he once said 'i might add some sweets in it' lol. come to find out..it was a regular transmission oil that he tried to.

Back