brake upgrade swaps

snydas1987

Reaction score
hey,
Iv noticed that alot of other car parts fit our 6th gen. Im looking at upgrading my brakes front n rear but i dont want to go any bigger just preffer more pistons in each caliper.
So im wondering if there are any calipers of different model accords or the TL models that would be a bolt up to the 99 accord stock set up?
Thanks guys
snyds

Jarrett

Reaction score
Also, understand that there are differences in the braking setups between the 4-cylinder cars and the V6 cars. We don't know all of the information to give you if you don't clarify what you have.

Either way, if you want more pistons per caliper for whatever reason, the front calipers from a '93-'95 Legend coupe and the '94-'95 Legend GS sedan are your best bet.

snydas1987

Reaction score
so iv read the legend thread, looks good. so since i own a V6 it looks like i only need the caliper n the rest should fit stock, is that correct?
and does the same model legend rear calipers fit to the 99 accord V6 rear also?
will it be a worth while upgrade to do to a V6 since it sounded more like a i4 upgrade?
So the GS caliper is a 2 piston job is that correct?
thanks heaps guys
snyds

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
You will also need legend rotors, they're bigger in diameter. It's up to you V6, i4. They are 2 piston calipers. Is it worth it? Should have more stopping power.

Jarrett

Reaction score
The Legend coupe and GS sedan rotors are the same diameter as the V6 Accord rotors at 282mm (11.1"), but they are thicker at 28mm vs. 25mm. There are larger rotor options from the '99-'04 3.5RL, '99-'03 3.2TL and '01-'03 3.2CL at 300mm (11.8"), but those will require caliper brackets from one of those models as well and are not required when swapping the 2-piston Legend calipers on a V6.

They are a larger upgrade in comparison to 4-cylinder cars than they are V6 cars. In fact, in some respects, they're not a straight upgrade for the V6 cars. An important figure when comparing clamping force is piston surface area applying pressure on the pad and, in turn, the rotors. The V6 Accord caliper has a 57mm piston. If we agree that the surface area of a circle whose diameter is 57mm = (57/2)^2 x 3.14 then we get 2551mm^2. The Legend calipers have a piston size of 38mm and 42mm. [(42/2)^2 x 3.14] + [(38/2)^2 x 3.14)] is our formula and the total we get is 2519mm^2. That's less surface area than the Accord V6 caliper! Now, that's not the only only dimension worth caring about. The benefit to the Legend caliper is having that surface area more evenly spread out on the same exact pad. This will help to decrease brake fade and prolong rotor life. Honestly, most people just care about numbers, though, and 2-pistons is better than one. That's usually all the convincing some people need. That said, I have a box full of 2-piston Legend calipers at home and when I throw the 300mm rotors on the CG2 I have before I sell it, I'll likely put the 2-piston calipers on as well.

lashlee

Reaction score
Though I haven't looked in some time, I think the Legend rotors are a 73.1mm center bore as opposed to the TL/Accord rotors being 67.1mm. I would be wary of buying the rotors that aren't hubcentric (though I don't think it would be horrible in the long run).

And here is another link to a post from when I went to the Legend caliper upgrade: Mini BBK parts list

Last edited:

Jarrett

Reaction score
The Legend rotors are 70.3mm hub centers. Matching hub diameters for rotors is ideal, but not as much so for wheels. It's a much more centered mass and the hole sizes for the lug studs is usually fairly spot on which doesn't allow much room for movement.

Back