Ways to prolong the life of our AT tranny

001Stunna

Reaction score
Burnt oil & grime = metal flakes & clutch material????? Wtf

Ok so in your "mindset" your Comparing a motor to a transmission you do know that they do completely different things right?

I'm not arguing that keeping oil clean is good for a motor or transmission.
But once u have flakes of metal in the oil the damage is already done.

A filter isn't miraculously going to put things that are worn out back together!!

But go ahead n keep arguing cuz U know your right in your mindset

No-one claimed it would put things back together...but it would be keeping that grime(whatever made up it may be) away from recirculating back around and causing more damaged or clogging valves or clearances etc.

ey361995

Reaction score
I just put the car in neutral with the handbrake up and I can take the key out fine when the car is off, I don't go anywhere near park :ugh:

Is that bad? haha

Nocture

Reaction score
Since I have a 99 4cyl auto, rebuilt trans at 119k. I was wondering if the tranny goes bad, I thought of trying to find an 02 auto since they're less problematic. Shouldn't be a problem, considering if they haven't changed the ecu.
Well, while searching, I saw this.
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/transmission/parts/3807

Apparently, the over heating issue isn't really the radiators fault or some sort of internal trans filter.

Could be of use if anyone wants to keep their auto's. :)

nrgzctp

Reaction score
I was advised once in the past that if the trans oil hasnt been changed in a while it's not a great idea to flush. They advised me to just add to it. What are your thoughts people?

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ I don't know who "they" are, but I've never heard of that before. All you need to do is to replace the oil, not to keep it topped off.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I was advised once in the past that if the trans oil hasnt been changed in a while it's not a great idea to flush. They advised me to just add to it. What are your thoughts people?

Who is they???

Also if you are topping off...that means you are leaking it somewhere...so no topping off is actually pretty dumb. Fixing the leak would be the smart thing if the fluid is disappearing.

Tranny fluid you should be drain and filling with OEM Honda ATFDw1 and no other. Personally I think it's wise to do at least once a year. If your tranny is already gone though then changing the fluid cannot fix worn parts.

briansan

Reaction score
What about letting the car heat up from a cold start? Doesn't the tranny shift pretty hard when it's cold?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yes, and no. Thicker fluid (cold) = easier to get pressure, but you have a pressure regulator, so not enough might go off outlet.

How cold? Some times I had SLIGHTLY harder shifts at 0*F, but like a noise, not a 'lurch'

briansan

Reaction score
it could be my tranny specifically, but only on cold starts will the car lurch when shifted to reverse or d4. when it's running hot, no lurches

xci.ed6

Reaction score
K, well, first part, as always, check fluid

I wipe dipstick on a white paper towel.

Any blackness left behind?

Change it.

Back