DIY 98-00 Cluster - white faces/red needles

Ratchet

Reaction score
finally had time to do this.
But after taking the picture, i noticed some imperfections on the cut. Need to redo it after i got my odometer LED.
thanks Chris for the detailed write up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
No problem man, glad this has helped a few people get the look they want. :)

Yours look good!

Damn it... I was satisfied with my cluster until I saw those... Looks like I'm doing red needles too :lawl:

Did you ever end up doing this?

The lighting is pretty good. Its just EVER so slightly darker with my red LEDs, but I was expecting that. I shoulda done this earlier haha

I keep thinking of going to red, because I'm too yellow to go in and remove the blue film lol.

Ratchet

Reaction score
No problem man, glad this has helped a few people get the look they want. :)

Yours look good!

you mentioned one time bout removing a filter to remove the bluefish effect of the LED.. I just can't find it.

also, almost did the white face with cluster rings. but the rings you have was discontinued. the ones on eBay isn't the same.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^The film is under the faces themselves. Search it up here or V6P, you'll see what I mean.

Yeah unfortunately. The only rings I know of are the ones where the speedo "ring" stops at the odometer on either side. The tach and fuel/temp rings look the same as mine.

Dukebb23

Duke Blue Devils
Reaction score
Only a couple months old but I have a question.

I right now have the blue LEDs from superbrightleds and I am not getting a lot of production in the needles and I am wandering if there is some sort of fluorescent paint that will work with the black light type of LEDs? I know my 48 SMS led blue panel has a black light type of output on fluorescent paint.

Thanks in advance.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I'm attempting this in the morning, white faces and all. Now I just need to find my X-Acto knife, haha. I had up to 7, now they've all disappeared. Figures.

I work at a grocery store, so we have quite a few of these knifes and boxcutters as well. Just thought I'd throw that in there

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Only a couple months old but I have a question.

I right now have the blue LEDs from superbrightleds and I am not getting a lot of production in the needles and I am wandering if there is some sort of fluorescent paint that will work with the black light type of LEDs? I know my 48 SMS led blue panel has a black light type of output on fluorescent paint.

Thanks in advance.

There probably is, but I personally have not worked with that. I think there was someone on here a while back that used black light LED”s for those two bulbs on top of the cluster and used a fluorescent paint on the needles to light them up at night. That was frontal lighting though, not sure if backlighting with black light LED”s would work the same way. You’d probably need to remove the orange film.

I’d probably pick up an extra cluster and try it on that first, that’s what I did before I modified mine. Bought one that didn’t work for $30 or something.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
......I’d probably pick up an extra cluster and try it on that first, that’s what I did before I modified mine. Bought one that didn’t work for $30 or something.

I have one that doesnt work that I am trying on first. Getting this plastic piece off is a *****.

Dukebb23

Duke Blue Devils
Reaction score
There probably is, but I personally have not worked with that. I think there was someone on here a while back that used black light LED”s for those two bulbs on top of the cluster and used a fluorescent paint on the needles to light them up at night. That was frontal lighting though, not sure if backlighting with black light LED”s would work the same way. You’d probably need to remove the orange film.

I’d probably pick up an extra cluster and try it on that first, that’s what I did before I modified mine. Bought one that didn’t work for $30 or something.

Thanks Chris.
I thought about that before but with the bezel that I have on there I am not sure if it would shine down to it. I even thought of glow in the dark paint too but once again if I paint over the needles it probably won't show through. I even thought of just adding an extra white bulb in there just for the speedo needle but I don't want any of the white to show through. Oh well. I guess I will try to see if there is enough of a gap to shine down through the bezel first and see.

Back