THE Lighting Review Thread

Nismode

Reaction score
Brand & model: DEPO (?) Gen2 LED Taillights
Price paid and from where: Sells for $124 + shipping on ebay from Zen Motorsports, I purchased from a forum member for less.
Pros: Bright, looks better than OEM imo, maintains stock-ish look (wrap around clear portion on corner lights).
Cons: LED's so brake lamp out warning on dash (gotta find a way to wire in a resistor), and may take some trial and error installing (maybe it was my luck).
Final verdict: Looks sick, and I'm happy so far. No other issues. May take some tinkering to make sure the wires don't shift and cause connection issues which in turn may cause the trunk lights to flicker.

Brand & model: 7440 Chrome Amber Rear turn signal lights
Price paid and from where: $11.99 shipped on ebay from autopartshouse
Pros: Bright, is invisible and looks better than clear lights in aftermarket taillights, good color
Cons: None so far
Final verdict: Complements the LED tails nicely.

img01402736406.jpg

Last edited:

Roadrashvtec

Reaction score
Brand & model: Luminics Krypton Pure Blue HL-9006 and JDM Yellow Fog Lights H3
Price paid and from where: 60$ total
Pros: Blue Looks Cool!, Yellow lights up the Road Great!
Cons: Their bulbs so their not HIDs so I don't get the full lighting, but it works better than OEM and the Yellow is def. an improvement in vision
Final verdict: if you just want bulbs and don't really care too much about HID's then go ahead with this one Luminicsusa.com or Luminics on ebay store

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
Brand & model: Kaixen HID Kit - 6000k
Price paid and from where: $ 100 Used
Pros: Easy to hook up, great light output, product seems to be good quality
Cons: Ballasts are a little large
Final verdict: This is my fist HID kit, and considering they are sold for around $300 new here on 6ga I think I got a deal. The overall build quality of the kit seems to be very good - the wires are nice and thick, and the ballasts are study. Light output is great, and this is a plus for me especially since I have bad night eyes. Overall, I would recommend these.

Brand & model: Sylvania Silverstar 9006 Bulbs
Price paid and from where: $40 a pair from Autozone
Pros: Readily available, put out a clearer light than OEM bulbs, but not much brighter.
Cons:price, for a little more you can have an HID kit, but this is offset by the simplicity of the install.
Final verdict: Best option if you do not feel like dealing with HIDs, although you can pay $50-60 for an HID kit from DDM tuning and get mch more output. A lot of people have said these bulbs have burned out on them, but my time having them I had no problems.

Brand & model: Nokya Yellow 9005 High Beam Bulbs
Price paid and from where: Free
Pros: Yellow light, make the surrounding reflectors look slightly yellow in the day light, which some people will see as an easier alternative to painting your high beams yellow.
Cons: None really.
Final verdict: These are very nice high beam bulbs. It was recently snowing quite heavily on my 40 mile drive home from a car meet, and using these bulbs I could see much better than I could with regular high beam bulbs. I recommend these.

kurtage77

Reaction score
Brand & model: DDM Tuning 8000k 35w Slim Ballast HID Kit
Price paid and from where: About $85 w/shipping from http://store.ddmlights.com/hidkihidbuhi.html
Pros: Waaaay better than halogen bulbs and at a great price.
Simple plug-and-play installation.
Great output especially with projectors.
No more flickering.
They definitely light the way.
Oh yea and the lifetime warranty!
Cons: Just that I had to mod the cap/rubber boot so that the HID bulb would fit and wouldn't have any leaks. This is only because they're not OEM headlights.
Final verdict: AMAZING. I love driving at night and my car stands out a bit more.
**buy the relay harness!!!**

Last edited:

Accord281

Reaction score
Brand & Model: 48 SMT LED Switchback Turn Signals
Price paid & from where: $28 each from autolumination.com
Pros: VERY bright, white is great compliment for HIDs, maintain legality
Cons: Expensive, also need to install load equalizers or an LED-compliant flasher
Final Verdict: If you are going to buy a set of switchbacks, it is worth it to pay the extra $2 for the 48s instead of the 30s. All facets have 3 of each color and the top has 6 which alternate colors when blinking with lights on (I don't know why all of them don't alternate like that, but whatever), so from all angles they look good. I love them!

Nismode

Reaction score
Brand & Model: Elegante by TYC Projector Lights for 98-02 Accord (Chrome)
Price paid & from where: Retails for $180-$220 on ebay, I purchased it from a forum member for less
Pros: Look very nice, plug and play installation, easy projector option for those not skilled or made of money for a retrofit.
Cons: Output may be a little lacking (I have yet to adjust them, may also be due to age of bulbs. Will try a new set of bulbs, may then go HID)
Final Verdict: I was intent on getting a set when I first saw them on 6thgen/V6p. I finally found a used set in good condition and jumped on it. I'll try adjusting it and getting new halogen bulbs. If not, I'll put in an HID kit.

Brand & Model: 01-03 Civic Fog lights (Yellow, OEM Style)
Price paid & from where: Retails for $15-$60 on ebay, I purchased it from a forum member for less.
Pros: Great output, bright for halogens, more stylish than the OEM option for 98-00 6th gens.
Cons: Since it is not meant for the 6th gen, requires tinkering with the wiring harness, and splicing to work with the OEM Accord switch. The member I purchased it from had all the connections made for me :). Also requires cutting a small part of the bumper, and drilling to secure them with nuts/bolts. Also, might need to drill a hole to adjust them (I forgot to do this and my fogs aim a little high).
Final Verdict: I love the look, they are bright, and make my car stand out.

lights3439569.jpg

inv4zn

Reaction score
Brand & Model: Philips Diamond Vision Halogen Bulbs 9006
Price paid & from where: $60 CDN from local shop
Pros: Easy to install, "5000K" white light, looks much better than stock, or sylvania's.
Cons: Kinda pricey for headlights, can get HID's for just a bit more.

Final Verdict: Very good alternative to other super-white halogens for those who don't want HID's

matty2013

Reaction score
Brand & model:phillips Crystal vision 9006 & 9005 Headlights
Price paid and from where: 23$ per pair from Costco
Pros:Excellent light output over OEM, has a bright white almost blue hue to them, very similar to HID's
Cons:None that I can point out
Final verdict: I've been asked time and time again when I put HID's in my car, definately worth the look aswell as superior output makes driving at night alot better

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Brand & Model: DDM Tuning 9006 Apexcone 35w 6000k HID Kit
Price paid and from where: $70 on DDMTuning.com (+$25 for relay harness)
Pros: Great price compared with Onex or McCullock. Tremendous output and great color of pure white with a hint of blue. Easily installation. Definitely buy the relay harness. Small ballasts too. Also haven't gotten flashed by anyone and did not adjust my housings, they project the same as my halogens did. This may differ among cars.
Cons: Really none.
Final Verdict: Now I know why these are so widely recommended by members on this site. You cannot go wrong, DDM makes a great product and they are a great price. If you're going HID, get these - finally one thing that is NOT too good to be true.

Brand & Model: PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow H3 Foglight Bulbs
Price paid and from where: $35 from Amazon.com
Pros: Great yellow color, have HID look. Compliments my 6000k HID's nicely. They light up the road very well especially in rain. Did not expect this but when you look at the lens in the day the colors from the purple/yellow/blue bulb refract in the housing giving the lens an anodized look. Easy install.
Cons: None at all.
Final Verdict: Foglights that look amazing and function even better. PIAA for this price can't be beat.

Brand & Model: V-LEDS High Output LED Bulbs - As for models, I'm documenting all my LED bulbs I've installed in one entry (front turn signals/parking lights, rear sidemarkers, rear turn signals, tail lights/brake lights, license plate bulb).
Price paid and from where: $10 - $50 from V-LEDS.com
Pros: Great output, easy install, fast shipping, but most importantly these are quality made. I was a bit rough putting one in once because my car's socket was deformed, and it did not break and has held up no problem. Bright as stock but crisp look, tremendous product.
Cons: Perhaps a bit pricey, but as I've said in some of my other reviews I don't compromise when it comes to my car.
Final Verdict: You get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a bit more and get a good reliable product the first time. Service is great too, if you get a defective bulb just call the guy and he'll send a new one right out. I've never had this happen but a friend has. Easy upgrade for your car, I've outfitted all my bulbs with V-LED's.

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Brand & Model: TYC headlights and DDM tuning HID's
Price paid & from where: $180 for headlights and $100 for 55w ballasts
Pros: Light output is good, cutoff is decent.
Cons:Not like a retrofit but its decent for the price

Final Verdict: Very good alternative to making your own retro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back