Bluetop H23a VTEC vs H22a Swap? Which one?

Silver99

Reaction score
Hate to start another thread, but I would like to know which swap I should put my accord. I will be getting my first job, and so I would like to do a swap. My goal is ~250 whp. I need to pass emissions and inspections, and I would like to stay Obd2. I just do not know which engine is easier to maintain, has more aftermarket support, and will be cheaper to get hp out of. People may not agree with me, but I would like to stay automatic because this is my daily driver. I am planning on getting a manual 300zx for fun. I just want an enjoyable daily. Again, this is all an idea at this point. Unfortunately, my parents may not let me do a swap. But I would like to get it planned out just in case.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
well i'm pretty sure every auto made for the accord is pure shit. maybe a prelude tranny would work but i dont know much about their reliability.

Silver99

Reaction score
well i'm pretty sure every auto made for the accord is pure shit. maybe a prelude tranny would work but i dont know much about their reliability.
That's what I was thinking. Plus the prelude transmission has a manual mode

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
tiptronic is trash. if it takes 2 seconds to actually shift after you tell it to, its not manual. i would just go 5 speed. thousands of people daily a stick, its not hard

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Like stated, the automatic transmission would really limit the power felt. You would probably feel a bigger difference manual swapping than you would motor swapping. H23a is cheaper but the h22a would probably be better in the long run if you plan on modding it. A jdm motor could be a little trickier to pass emissions, but definitely possible. Good thing I don't need to pass emissions :lawl:

Silver99

Reaction score
Like stated, the automatic transmission would really limit the power felt. You would probably feel a bigger difference manual swapping than you would motor swapping. H23a is cheaper but the h22a would probably be better in the long run if you plan on modding it. A jdm motor could be a little trickier to pass emissions, but definitely possible. Good thing I don't need to pass emissions :lawl:
Yea I was leaning towards h22a but it's more expensive. I just want low miles and it's easier to get low mile / good quality engines that are JDM than USDM. How much do you think I could get for a 60k mile f23a1?

604ACCORD

Reaction score
All Honda automatics from 98 to 04 are crap stay away my Odyssey seems to get like 60,000k to 80,000k and tranny craps out. My accord is on its way out, I have a jdm (non lsd) to take its place. My bro went threw 2 in his 99 lude. I'm just saying if your doing a swap you may as well go 5spd, it would be a shame to swap it all and the trans craps out in 5000k. Oh ya H22 FTW

Back