Re-painting the roof

honda_dude

Reaction score
Can someone explain this DIY or hav a better DIY??

http://www.phidong.com/gallery/paintedroof?page=1

mine is not bad..i just hav 2 spots, one the size of my palm and one the size of a dime where the clear coat is dying...i want to repaint it b4 it spreads....

P1010692.jpg

P1010693.jpg

Last edited:

SmrPants44

Reaction score
Should be just like repainting anything else man. Moved..

not everyone knows the finer points of car painting.....

but anyways im not much of an expert but the first step in that diy looks like wet sanding...the rest i couldn't tell you much about

xci.ed6

Reaction score
scotchbrite (red) to scuff it down, prime, wetsand (repeat till smooth), paint, wetsand (repeat till smooth), clear, wetsand (i bet you can guess...), buff

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
not everyone knows the finer points of car painting.....

but anyways im not much of an expert but the first step in that diy looks like wet sanding...the rest i couldn't tell you much about

Doesnt matter if I was repainting a bumper, hood, whatever...there's still the basic methods of how to repaint something.

johnnydinh701

Reaction score
yea its happening to my car too, it seems that its only happening to the DEP accords >_<

changaroo

Reaction score
i had the same problem on my pillars... i ended up buffing all the oxidation out with compound.

only downside is i have no more clear coat, but i just have to make sure i wax that area really well everytime i clean the car.

oxidation.jpg

osiriskidd

Reaction score
you can try buffing it out a couple of times. i've done this to older cars and usually it'll bring out shine.

in the picture all its basically doing is:

wetsand, wash, primer, wetsand, wash, primer, (however many layers of primer you feel comfortable with), lay on paint, wetsand, paint, wetsand, paint, wetsand, (same thing...how many layers you want). clearcoat., wetsand (again, depending on how many layers). than wax and buff.

thats typically painting. any bodypart. you'll grow huge arm muscles from doing just the wetsanding. and it takes a while.

Crono139

Reaction score
Got mine repainted for $527. :ugh:

My passenger pillar is beginning to like the one pictured above. I guess it's time for some polish. Compound will be a last resort.

Back