So, people are asking me how to keep my engine bay so clean

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I got a response today and more than a few PM's over the last few months about how i keep my engine bay clean. Here's a pic:

grapedrank1kl0.jpg

First things first, i have only 40k miles on this car but still, it will look this way at 150k+, and it's simple.

Note, if you have had any fluid leaks, or so much grime that its actually to the point it's built up enough to where it's a few mm thick, degrease atleast that area first. I have yet to find a degreaser i like, but if you use this techinque, it doesn't matter it it gets everything off, just a good amount.

Starting point...If your engine bay is just plain dirty, residue from fluids, dust and dirt, all that....here is my technique. Buy can of tire foam. Spray the whole can all over your engine. A half a can will cover everything, just keep spraying. Tire foam lifts all the dirt and grime so the more you spray, the more you get. Spray and wait an hour. Then wipe it down. I'm sure if you haven't cleaned your bay before, you will be impressed. Plus, since it not high pressure, like steam cleaning, you don't have to worry about electical. If you have an after market intake, just take the filter off and put a rag in the tube. People always put a bag on but it takes like 30 seconds to just take it off, plus you have more room. Anyway, after you let it sit, just go over everything with a rag. Most of the time, you only need to do this once. If it's bad, twice. If you had oil leaks, degrease those spots first and then do this.

IF YOU HAVE POLISHED HEADERS, be sure to get all the foam off before you drive. This can possibly create some minor problems (as explained below). I would concider using another cleaner on them, like simple green or something. Or just take the time to repolish, perfect time to do so.

NOTE: Some people make sure there engine is hot before they do this. Or they start there car after the foam is not foamy any more and let it run before they wipe it off. I have found little difference. It works slightly better, but you can get white deposites if it's too hot. On my talon, being turbo, more things got hot (and hotter than an accord would get) after driving. That's the only time it happened but i could polish it out. It was very minor but since i really can't tell, the difference anyway, so i do it cold. If i've been driving and my engine is still hot, i don't worry about it and just go ahead and do it, it doesn't really matter either way (from my experiences).

Now, your bay should be clean of any fluid deposits, your hoses should look good, etc. But, metal parts may not look great if they have rusted. There is no real fix to rust outside painting. Aluminum colored paint is best, either sand or use a scotchbright pad, then paint. If you are selling a car, you can just use steal wool (use the finest you can find). But the rust still will come back.

On aluminium parts, use fine steal wool. This will do 3 things, it will take off any burnt fluid deposits, get rid of any oxidation, and it will polish the metal. The result is slightly more shinny than what it would be from the factory but not by much. I think it looks better but in about 6 months, it will dull to where it would be right after it was cast. By doing this, it should look good for atleast a few years, if you don't live in the snow.

The heatshield is probably the biggest thing that looks good or bad. Most cars, including accords use aluminzed steal. This means that you can easily restore it with steal wool, even polish it mirror with alot of work. But, if rust has gone through the coating, you basically have to deal with minor rust issues. If you don't see any rust, go over it with steel wool. this will shine it up well. If it's bad, painting may be your best bet. Powdercoaing works as well, but will dull over time due to heat. It looks better than paint for awhile. (a few years).

So, it sounds like a long process. I have cleaned up more than a few engine bays that have never been cleaned with 150k+ miles in less than 4-5 hours. It goes quick, the work is not hard. I suggest you paint anything that needs paint, use steel wool on anything that needs it before you use tire foam as it will coat these pieces, and when wiping down, it will get rid of any steal wool fibers left behind.

If you do this once a year, it will probably only take you about 20 min of actual work. Just spray the foam and wait (5 min). Wipe down (5 min). Polish any polished parts you added (5-10 min). The more often you do this, the less work it is as there is less to to clean. Outside of leaks and things of that nature that can happen over time, you eventually are just getting dust off as any traces of grease and grime have been eliminated and haven't had much time to come back. So the first time, you may have to do it twice, like said above, you may have to wipe more gunk off, but after you have done it once, it almost is self cleaning, just whip everything off and it's like new.

Sorry for any typos and all that, i should have written this in the morning (sober lol). Keep you bay clean. It's not only cosmetic but you can work on your car and you don't have to use the phrase "getting your hands dirty" I keep my bay clean for working on my car, or thats how it started, just to save me the hastle of having my hands and arms black and having to spend 20 min getting that off me. Once a year, 20 min, your good. Hope this helps anyone who has asked. Always do this before you sell a car too. People will think you absolutely babied your car, no matter how you drive it.

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Here is an example of when i cleaned my bay after i painted my VC for the first time ever, just cause it is closer up (i did do some polishing at the same time which is very time consuming, unlike the process above). Once it's clean, keeping it that way is easy (5-10 min of actual work):

enginebayga7.jpg

Last edited:

Crono139

Reaction score
Nice write-up.

Definitely thinking about giving this a try now.

indowanksta88

Reaction score
wait when u said u can spray tire foam all over the engine bay, it doesnt matter if it gets into the alternator or gets on the battery either? sorry if it is a stupid question, but i was just curious lol

Crono139

Reaction score
wait when u said u can spray tire foam all over the engine bay, it doesnt matter if it gets into the alternator or gets on the battery either? sorry if it is a stupid question, but i was just curious lol

I would assume no because you really shouldn't get any bit of moisture on those components.

Back