Rusty Accord's 99 Sedan LX F23A4 w/5speed (56K)

Connie

Reaction score
Why did you decide to pull the hub like that?

Every time I've done front bearings, I take the whole knuckle off, put it in a vice, and just start beating the hell out of it from behind with a big old crappy socket as the driver and a 5LB hammer. Usually the hub and outer race just fall off in the first few whacks, never needed a puller before.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice work, no idea how old my wheel bearings are but they seem to be fine. This is helpful though in case I ever have to do them. Crazy how badly they can deteriorate.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Why did you decide to pull the hub like that?

Every time I've done front bearings, I take the whole knuckle off, put it in a vice, and just start beating the hell out of it from behind with a big old crappy socket as the driver and a 5LB hammer. Usually the hub and outer race just fall off in the first few whacks, never needed a puller before.

I watched a couple of you tube videos is why I tried the slide hammer. After using it for 4 hours, I decided to go a different route. It kind of ticked me off in that it wouldn't budge with a 5 pound weight, but the driver I used knocked it out in 10 minutes with a 2 pound hammer. Needless to say the vids were probably edited to show them just coming off. At least I know NOT to use that method again (I do still have another 6th gen sitting here).

I did like how the kit pulled the bearings out, and pressed them back in. That worked out great, and you don't shock the bearings. ;) I used some of the other backing plates/pucks to pull the hub back on too. Made quick work of the job, and I'm happy with how everything worked out. I wouldn't think twice with driving out the hub, removing the snap ring, and using that press to move the bearings again. This is kind of what I was trying to convey to the "datatech" kid in the "million mile" thread. It's not a hard job, but it does take some time and some tools. Taking care of the rest of the front end while I was in there was the way to do it too, as it's done.

Accordx

Reaction score
There's a squeaky noise coming from my passenger front wheel, probably a bearing considering I've checked/cleaned everything else. Been doing it for a while now but I may look into replacing the bearings myself now :shrug:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
There's a squeaky noise coming from my passenger front wheel, probably a bearing considering I've checked/cleaned everything else. Been doing it for a while now but I may look into replacing the bearings myself now :shrug:
Take a look underneath and make sure it's not a sway bar end link first. My wife's car had a squeek on the right side a couple of winters ago, and the problem was the end link had came a part on 1 end. Once rep[aced, it was quiet again. On my own car, the left front end link was missing. Well actually the threaded balls were still there, but the buckets tying them together were gone. Those are cheaper and easier to replace. I used MOOG problem solver links to replace them. So check them first before digging in too deep.

Accordx

Reaction score
Take a look underneath and make sure it's not a sway bar end link first. My wife's car had a squeek on the right side a couple of winters ago, and the problem was the end link had came a part on 1 end. Once rep[aced, it was quiet again. On my own car, the left front end link was missing. Well actually the threaded balls were still there, but the buckets tying them together were gone. Those are cheaper and easier to replace. I used MOOG problem solver links to replace them. So check them first before digging in too deep.

Hmm I'm gonna have to get under and take a look at the front end links this weekend then haha, thank you

Connie

Reaction score
Yeah wheel bearings don't squeak; at least I've never heard one do that. They are either silent, rumbly, growly, vibratey, or a combination of the latter three.

Sway bar links and bushings or strut mounts tend to squeak more often.

If it's more of a tssshh-tssshh-tssshh sound, it's probably the dust shield on the inboard side of the rotor rubbing on the rotor. They are very easy to bend when doing suspension work. And if you live somewhere with winter and road salt, they tend to rust out around the bolt holes and just kinda sag down onto the rotor and make that sound. Out of the 5 Accords I have at home, not a single one has dust shields that haven't been destroyed by rust. I should really find out if they are available for a reasonable price lol.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
If it's more of a tssshh-tssshh-tssshh sound, it's probably the dust shield on the inboard side of the rotor rubbing on the rotor. They are very easy to bend when doing suspension work. And if you live somewhere with winter and road salt, they tend to rust out around the bolt holes and just kinda sag down onto the rotor and make that sound. Out of the 5 Accords I have at home, not a single one has dust shields that haven't been destroyed by rust. I should really find out if they are available for a reasonable price lol.

Yeah, my 99 lost both of it's dust shields. The left 1 started falling off the car while parked. I just reached in there and pulled it off the rest of the way. The right side one came off while I was in there the last time. It wasn't held on by much.
Strange thing is my wife's 00 Accord still has both, and they look great.

Enne

Reaction score
One of the ones on my Accord bent during the first brake job we did, and it made this awful screeching sound lol. Whacked it back into place and all was well.

Back