My first Honda- looking for suggestions

DavidV

Reaction score
I just bought an 02 EX Coupe V6- 73k miles- clean and stock. I'm looking for advice on stiffening the suspension sway some, and even though the V6 runs great are there any simple mods such as cold air intake etc that make much difference without getting too carried away?
Any advice is greatly appreciated and it looks like y'all would be the ones to ask!!

Last edited:

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
If you use the "search" button on your tool bar and type in words like "intake" "exhaust " "suspension " you'll find a huge amount of information bc this question has already been asked numerous times.

Also there is a whole section of the forum about product reviews on everything you're looking for.

Well for suspension I suggest a set of full coilovers which are designed to be adjusted so u can raise and lower your ride height. IMO that is the optimal setup but it may not be for you.. They're are numerous brands to choose from. You could also go with a spring/strut combo also But make sure you do it right and research. You don't want to just buy and install Just any cheap spring. You'll need to upgrade your OEM struts bc they arent meant to be paired with aftermarket springs . Also upgrading the rear sway bar is a noticeable upgrade. Type in the word "suspension " in the search toolbar. The Acura tl type s rear swaybar is a more thicker direct replacement which I recommended

I'd suggest you read up on the v6 automatic transmission failures that are incredibly common with our cars bc you may be in for a surprise when yours gos.

As for performance the j30 is not a very good platform at all really but I've found It's still semi responsive however unless you go forced induction you won't see really any worthwhile gains. Intake, header, exhaust - there are quiet ones like apexi WSII and some magnaflow exhausts. There Is a whole thread just for exhaust reviews. Also parts are easily interchangeable from the 3.2TLs engine like the intake manifold which is a lot less restricted and also the type s cam which is a lot more aggressive. Other than that there's not a lot of bolt ons you can do.
That will make a huge difference.

Btw Welcome!

Last edited:

MikeyMike

Reaction score
:147703263745b138a51

welcome, before the animals get to you

there are no bolt ons that will get you noticable differences.. mainly just sound and look

suspension is varied on whether you want looks or ride. for looks you can simply get like kyb shocks and a set of springs from h&r or tein etc. if you want stiff youre going to need a coilover. Product review section has everyones imputs on certain kits. IMO these are all biased because everyone is going to love the kit they have

i would look into form and funtion coil overs.

intake you can get a cheap one off of ebay for like $30-60. only intake that makes a difference without working on the heads/intake manifold is the AEM v2 because it doesnt conduct heat. however the difference is barely noticeable..

exhaust and headers will help for sound too..

but like said, everything is reviewed in the product review form, youtube can help you with sounds also :peace:

DavidV

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll esp look at the 3.2tl sway bar... not really wanting to do anything too drastic, it just feels like it needs something.
I know about the transmission problems, I just happen to be in the auto repair business. This unit was gone through about 6 k agoand I know the builder, but it does need a front engine mount and possibly the rear as well.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The rear sway bar you'll want is either the '07 TL-S 6MT (20mm), or the Progress RSB (24mm). The biggest performance upgrade you can do for your car (if you aren't swapping the tranny) is upgrading your suspension/RSB.

Back