Optima Red or Yellow Top?

swollen_cu

Reaction score
hey guys i'm running 2 4 gauges wires from my battery to each amp in my car. I have a JL 500/1 v2 running to a 12" alpine type r and a 250rms 4 channel amp for my highs.

I know that the yellow to is a dep cycle battery and is used for cars with sound systems , trucks or RVs. Now, the red top I know is just a better than stock battery.

My question is, will the red top be enough for my sound system without draining the battery? OR will I have to go with the yellow top? OR can I just stick with my silverstar battery i got from advanced autoparts?

tnguyen600

Reaction score
Red tops are good if you live in a cold climate area. But since you live in the dirty south, i think your fine with the yellow top. Its like $40 more, but since you got a sound system set up, just opt for the yellow top and switch that 4 gauge to a zero gauge if you wanna be gangsta. holla.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
i already had 4 gauge running in the car hooked up to my highs only, but i decided to get a sub too, so id rather not spend the money on a 0 gauge wire kit, which is pretty pricey, when i got hook ups on 4 gauge amp kits.

Would my stock battery drain with 2 4 gauge wires coming from the battery to the amps?

KnightRyder

Reaction score
why run another 4 gauges? just get a distribution block. it essentially is a splitter. you would still need a little more 4 gauge but wiring would be less messy.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
why run another 4 gauges? just get a distribution block. it essentially is a splitter. you would still need a little more 4 gauge but wiring would be less messy.

cause when adding a distribution block, the amount of voltage in that one wire is split into 2, and i need all the power i can get to run the jl 500/1 amp. I dont want to be under-powering anything. and i wire up clean, so i dont have to worry about that. haha

tnguyen600

Reaction score
shouldn't the v2 have the intelligent power supply system...so regardless of however much power you draw to it, it'l just regulate it accordingly?

swollen_cu

Reaction score
shouldn't the v2 have the intelligent power supply system...so regardless of however much power you draw to it, it'l just regulate it accordingly?

yeah but i want full power going to that amp, not half power.

What you are talking about is the internal voltage regulator, which ceases the point of using a cap.

CHID0

Reaction score
get a 1/0 gauge to a distro and split it to 2 4's
Oh and Yellow top might be better for power sucking audio equipment

Back