FX35 Retrofit slowly in progress, LOTS of pics

JV6

Reaction score
Hello, I have been using and learning off this forum so much and for so long that I would want to do something in return with a DIY retrofit to help members who plan to do theirs one day. So I was planning to buy a pair of retrofit off NotNice but my budget is low again and won't be able to afford to buy his nice retros. I decided to do one myself when someone sold me a pair of fx35 headlights for $60 last week. I got the fx35 and gave it a shot! I hope you guys like my write up, i try to be detail as possible with a dslr right behind me taking pics.

My first Diy so bare with me :)

FX35 Projectors
280iq2u.jpg

22drvb.jpg

Ovening and prying it open-
Take off 3 screws that are located on both ends of the highlights.
Pre-heat your oven to 200 degree and then put it inside there for 8-10 mins or until the silicone melts(make sure to use oven gloves)
When you pry it open, there is 7 plastic clips in total holding the the lens and housing together all around so use a flat head screw driver to flip it up.
Use a knife to cut the silicone apart when prying.

f1m8hl.jpg

Removing projector from housing-
1. This screw is located from behind the headlight
2. and 3. Both screws are in front, #2 is just right below the projector.
4. white plastic clip, just squeeze it together and push it back.

Bi-Xenon itself :)
29ctgmg.jpg

mae1za.jpg

On to opening up Accord OEM Headlights

vzhovq.jpg

Opening accord headlight -
Instead of using oven this time, I bought a cheap jobmate Heat Gun from canadian tire
I set the gun at 250 degree first and heat it all around for 2 mins.
After I set the heat at 450 degree and heat it all around again for another couple mins!
When done, start prying it open from the turn signal side slowly, also flip those plastic clips up that is holding the lens and housing together. There's 9 Clips.
Use a knife to cut the gluing strings when opening so it doesn't get messy.

9sulmx.jpg

Picture of the headlight apart now.

2cdz5p1.jpg

Removing reflector from housing -
1. and 2. Turn these counter clockwise until the reflector goes forward and pops out.

rumy6s.jpg

To remove this, there is a screw right below it under the reflector.

2rdjnuq.jpg

I taped up the surround and getting ready to cut!

Cutting and fitting

2ai2052.jpg

Looks nasty doesn't it but thats ok, the fx35 sits pretty tall so the bottom needed to be cut due to its highbeam wire down there. After some mind measuring I went for it :rofl:

359a7x1.jpg

Did some fitting in the reflector, still needs a bit more trimming to push it back more.

2wpmseh.jpg

I drilled right through the reflector and added longer bolts to hold support the projectors.

2h2gnes.jpg

Here how retrofit sits as off now.

274dd56f.jpg

tested it out to see the cut off line

nxwa55.jpg

I haven't sealed it up yet but here how it looks like with housing on. len still needs some work

1zpmu77.jpg

Back of the headlight

2dh9xl2.jpg

Both fx installed

mtkzup.jpg

Pick these up during lunch break at post office

Here how the cut off line looks, looks more sharper in person then the phone pics lol
2hwhe6s.jpg

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Kudos on taking on tis project as your first 'major' DIY.

Planning on painting the housing as well, I assume?

Sucks to have to hack up the headlights like that, but looks good so far.

Make sure you use a really good sealant when closing the headlights back up, try to find something that's not too goopy.

NotNice

Reaction score
bi-xenon thats a win. looking good so far. do you know which shrouds your going to use? lmk if need any help. cant wait to see it finished.

st3b0

Reaction score
Wow, what a steal for $60! You're a lucky guy haha
Looking forward to seeing the completed product

Raul

Reaction score
Damn, you sure know how to get good deals:hihi:

Pick up a pair of ZKW lenses (300ZX) and swap the FX ones out. Then you will have sharper and more blueish cut off. Unfortunately, we all had to hack up our lights like that since true OEM projectors are not PnP.

However, the oem look is truly worth the hassle:hide:

JV6

Reaction score
Kudos on taking on tis project as your first 'major' DIY.

Planning on painting the housing as well, I assume?

Sucks to have to hack up the headlights like that, but looks good so far.

Make sure you use a really good sealant when closing the headlights back up, try to find something that's not too goopy.

Thanks! Not sure if im blacking housing the headlight yet, at debate point right now. As for sealant, not sure on which to use atm.

bi-xenon thats a win. looking good so far. do you know which shrouds your going to use? lmk if need any help. cant wait to see it finished.

I was thinking of E46 shrouds for a simple look, thanks I will def ask for help if i got a question :)

Wow, what a steal for $60! You're a lucky guy haha
Looking forward to seeing the completed product

Yeah man, I was stoked! He was in need of cash and space I think.

Damn, you sure know how to get good deals:hihi:

Pick up a pair of ZKW lenses (300ZX) and swap the FX ones out. Then you will have sharper and more blueish cut off. Unfortunately, we all had to hack up our lights like that since true OEM projectors are not PnP.

However, the oem look is truly worth the hassle:hide:

Thanks, yeah been lucky past couple months on deals lol. I'm not sure on the lens yet but I was happy with the cutoff when i light it up. I will def look into those color mods len swap!

ugh damn i wish i had the balls and skills to do this :(

Honestly I was in same situation as you until I saw some guy selling a set. I said whatever lets give it a shot and it ended up be a fun diy. Something for me to do during winter.

props man and what a good deal. better deal than what i got my projectors for

Thanks man!

Make sure you color mod that thing...
It looks oh so sexy.

Good looking progress.

Haha we will see, thanks!

001Stunna

Reaction score
To glue the shroud on to the projector and to seal the back-end of things i use something called automotive goop, I also used the tiniest screw one can think that exists and used it to screw the shroud to the reflector bucket from the top(just some added security to the goop). I stayed away from things such ad JB Weld since i read and heard they it tends to crack during the cold. I added the goop to the back-end and then used some silicone tape to form the shape on how i wanted the goop to dry. The next day i took the tape off and the goop was in the desired shape. From the back i also used this aluminum tape i found at Home Depot that had some sort of grey rubbery sticky part on the inside(not just simple aluminum tape). Lastly i used normal all weather silicone and rubbed it all over the back part of the aluminum tape as an extra layer of protection.

Automotive goop
41VbDrYVXwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Also, i'm not sure if you can take your projectors apart, but if you can...paint the cutoff shield from the front a color you like. Then when looking at the projector from certain angles it'll appear as if it glows that color.

Last edited:
Back