DIY: Switchblade Key

Hoff Daddy

Reaction score
Do the buttons work too? If they do I might pull the keyless entry crap out of my EX to put in my daily LX... this is so tempting.

Mikey

Reaction score
Buttons work just fine. If they wouldn't have worked then I wouldn't have done this, lol.

As for the blade not working in my ignition and doors--yes. I sort of had that problem when the key was first cut. I had to put the key in, jiggle it a bit then it would turn. I found that by inserting it and removing it in my door and trunk locks multiple times, over and over, helped fix it. Say what you will but I think it needs to be dulled down a little. It's a new key going into 12-17 year old locks; they'll need a little persuasion at first. After a few days of regular use it was fine.

Dagriff1997

Reaction score
I bought the key and went to throw my fob in there but even after I trimmed the case my buttons don't have any wiggle room. I even used the key cover from the old fob. I really wanna use the key, cause it's pretty cool looking.

Mikey

Reaction score
Are you using the buttons that came with it or the button pad from your old fob? If you're using your old buttons, I'd either trim the case down more or trim the edge of the button pad. If you're using the buttons that came with it, they fit fine, they just didn't feel soft and reliable. I'd say trim where you know you can. But try not to over trim or else the buttons will move too much and fall back into the case.

blackhawksfan18

Reaction score
Ok, I have a question-
First, I currently have two keys; the original with fob and a spare. I plan on taking the chip from my spare and inserting it into the switchblade fob. Since it's already programmed, will the OEM fob remote still work if I use that as my new spare and the switchblade as the primary key?

noelaorozco

Reaction score
Quick question so the metal blank key that has to be cut won't work? I'm kinda confused about this t5 talk.

Reason is, I had bought this a while ago and it's all ready, blank key is cut, my circuit board from my fob goes into it along with the buttons but I just need to cut out one of my spare OEM black Honda keys and put that small cylinder in there? Or am I missing step?

goldenchamp

Reaction score
Quick question so the metal blank key that has to be cut won't work? I'm kinda confused about this t5 talk.

Reason is, I had bought this a while ago and it's all ready, blank key is cut, my circuit board from my fob goes into it along with the buttons but I just need to cut out one of my spare OEM black Honda keys and put that small cylinder in there? Or am I missing step?

The cut key blade itself will unlock the car/trunk/glovebox etc., and will even turn the car to "on." The car just won't start without the chip being properly programmed.

The "T5" key is basically the master key for the car that either a locksmith or the dealer can make a transponder copy off of. You don't *have* to have a T5 key, it's just easier to get a T5 programmed. The alternative is just getting a normal OEM transponder key, and then taking *all* the other keys you have to get them programmed somewhere. The labor should be around $60.

I love this idea, and I'm gonna try it ASAP. Does anybody know if this also works with a non-transponder equipped Honda like a 1st gen CR-V? Are the key blades the same?

noelaorozco

Reaction score
Ohhh alright. So besides getting the blank cut and inserting the chip from the OEM spare key into the new fob, I still have to get the new cut key programmed?

Mikey

Reaction score
Ok, I have a question-
First, I currently have two keys; the original with fob and a spare. I plan on taking the chip from my spare and inserting it into the switchblade fob. Since it's already programmed, will the OEM fob remote still work if I use that as my new spare and the switchblade as the primary key?

Yes. If you have 2 fobs and you use one to go into the switchblade, the other fob will still work.

For everyone else, all you have to do is get the switchblade key part cut to your VIN and either get a spare key programmed so you can take its chip -OR- gut an existing spare key that you have and use its chip. It's all really straightforward. The hardest part is paying for the cut/program. But sometimes the parts guys are cool and may not charge you.

Back