Intermittent hard shift, 1-2 - 2002 I4 Accord..

javiert99

Reaction score
Hi guys.. first post.

My wife's '02 Accord EX I4 just starting have an intermittent hard shift issue between 1-2. The hard shift usually comes up over 30-40% throttle... slow easy driving doesn't seem to do it. It does it about every 4th or 5th shift, having just started today with no previous signs.

We've owned the car for about 15k miles now and it's had no issues to speak of. I've replaced the timing belt & tensioners with all OEM Honda components not long ago and have been good about full syn oil changes, been treating the car well. Hadn't gotten around to changing the trans fluid yet though... which is on the brown side unfortunately (just checked today)..

Any thoughts? There's no slip in any of the gears, just that hard 1-2.. possibly one of the solenoids? I see they're real easy to get to.. do these have those screens I can check under them?

Thanks...

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I think your transmission is raising the white flag, I'm in the same boat right now but a couple of months ahead of you. Dunno about the solenoids I asked the same thing to no avail, if you find out tho please come back and tell us. kthx GL with kepping it running. :thumbup:

javiert99

Reaction score
I think your transmission is raising the white flag, I'm in the same boat right now but a couple of months ahead of you. Dunno about the solenoids I asked the same thing to no avail, if you find out tho please come back and tell us. kthx GL with kepping it running. :thumbup:

Has yours gotten any worse since it started? Or is it just intermittent like mine?

henreeezy xp

Reaction score
try doing a tranny flush and use honda's atf. if that doesnt fix it, check the wires and stuff... make sure they're clean without corrosion.

SickCeeGeeSix

Reaction score
See i had an I4 Automatic and traded some Marine for a I4 5Spd! Roxx..... and yea change ur fluid and take care of that tranny if not it will cost u half of what ur car is worth

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
I guess I should mention it's an A4, not a manual :thumbup:

lol, the a4 designates the type of f23a engine you have, not the tranny :lawl:

heres the rundown...

f23a1 - 150hp/152tq vtec motor
f23a4 - 148hp/150tq ulev vtec motor (lower emissions than the a1, i suppose)
f23a5 - 135hp/137tq (i think?) DX non-vtec motor.

but anyway the problems youre experiencing are signs of old age of the transmission. the autos on these cars arent really known that well for reliability, haha. the v6 autos tend to die off quicker than the i4 autos, but the i4 autos tend to die off as well, just not as wide spread or as often. my first 6th gen was an i4 auto, and the transmission on it was starting to die near the end of the time i owned it. it also had a hard/slipping shifting problem going from 1st to 2nd under heavy throttle....not wot, but like you said, 30% - 40%. so that could be the problem, but like others have said, check any and everything else that it could be first.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
try doing a tranny flush and use honda's atf. if that doesnt fix it, check the wires and stuff... make sure they're clean without corrosion.

Do not do that it will make things worse. Change your fluid, and change it often. It is about 25 dollars for the 3 quarts you need but it is a helluva lot cheaper than replacing the transmission. And yes unfortunately mine has gotten much worse to the point at which it slips like a MOFO at every shift point, no matter if driving granny style or on the gas moderately, it also slams into gear much like you have mentioned.

javiert99

Reaction score
lol, the a4 designates the type of f23a engine you have, not the tranny :lawl:

heres the rundown...

f23a1 - 150hp/152tq vtec motor
f23a4 - 148hp/150tq ulev vtec motor (lower emissions than the a1, i suppose)
f23a5 - 135hp/137tq (i think?) DX non-vtec motor.

ah haha.. the A4 thing for me is from a different world entirely.. in the Camaro / F-body world an A4 is short for 4 speed Automatic :) I drag race a low 11 second 97 Z28 ;)

I appreciate the advise guys, I will buy some Honda ATF tomorrow and change the fluid after work, drive it a few miles, and change out some more.

Back