Headlight Sealant Info **READ ME**

honda_dude

Reaction score
yea i kno there is alot of threads out there that explains this but everyones says different things. Butyl Rubber, Silicone II, etc.....

Lets get it straight..

If you have condensation or fogging problems, what is the best to use??

Also if you blackhoused ur headlight, what is the best to use to prevent this?

It would also be good if you tell us what you used to reseal ur headlight and how it is working now.

Last edited by a moderator:

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Re: Headlight Sealant

Ok best as I can explain.

Condensation/Fogging - Best remedy is too dry out the housing with a hair dryer then add extra sealant of your choice on the housing. Next thing to consider is before you put them back together glue in some silica packs (things you see that comes in shoes and what not to absorb moisture) to bottom inside the housing.

Butyl Rubber - Is a special sealant/adhesive that comes in a roll and always stays pliable never hardens. Nissan uses it to seal body panels, lights etc.. Honda uses something similar called HondaBond. It does come in tubes though, for the home application around windows and such.

Silicone II - Is basically silicone with some extra properties. Mold/Mildew resistant, doesn't shrink, water proof, UV resistant and all that..

honda_dude

Reaction score
Re: Headlight Sealant

thanks darryl..i guess ur the headlight guy..lol..this should be made as a sticky..:thumbsup: cause many ppl ask about this

honda_dude

Reaction score
hey darryl or anyone who can answer this,

What is the best sealant to used after blackhousing a headlight to make sure the leaks go away if there is any or to prevent leak, fog...etc....

ccordex00

Reaction score
I used some sealant, can't remember which one, but after a year it started to peel, so I just place some transparent tape...no more problems

PROJECT H

Reaction score
i never used silicone... :hide: haha and my headlights have been fine... just do a good job and reuse the OEM glue hahaha.. ive done 2 blackhousings on my stock headlights so far... i think i could use some silicone though. theres a lil fogging after some carwashes.

Ric Rock

Reaction score
anyone know if honda bond is available at local dealerships or does have to be ordered?

Back