help!!! car wont start!!

ninjacord

Reaction score
98 coupe f23a4 5speed. The car died last week. Had an old battery in it so assumed that was the main problem. Replaced the battery with one from an oddessy. Car ran fine for about 2 days. Didnt really want to start on the 3rd day but started in the morning. Drove to work and when i tried to leave it wouldnt start. Push started it and drove about 1/4 mi b4 it died again. Had a buddy jump it with cables. Did the exact same thing again. Eventually got it home. Ive taken the alt off and the starter off. Both tested and are working fine. Checked and replaced all fuses. Checked, cleaned and in some cases replaced all connections. Checked fuel system and ignition system. Everything seems fine. But car will not start under its own power. Can attach cables ans will instantly start. And it will start if i push it. But it will not stay running for more then 5 min or so. Any ideas? Any help is apprciated

Jevik

Reaction score
A lot of times the alternator will have a short, causing issues but will test as perfectly fine.. happened to my aunts jetta. Same could be the case here..

I'd get a new or rebuilt alternator. Is it the power dying, or just stalling out? If it's simply stalling out but you still have plently of power check the fuel pump and clean the injectors.

ninjacord

Reaction score
Its loosing power. There is an apexi turbo timer in the car and i can see the voltage. At the time of a jump it reads a normal 13.5ish as soon as i disconnect from the other car it just falls. As soon as it drops below 8 it putters out.

Jevik

Reaction score
Then yeah, pick up an alternator, and maybe try another battery. I know you already took one out of an oddy, but maybe 3rd's a charm? Also check connections. Maybe there's a short somewhere that's draining more than it should

gt58

Reaction score
happened to my buddys mustang. we went out to rip up the streets and barely got it 1 mile away from his dads house and it pooped out. would start up fine with the jumper cables but as soon as we pulled them the voltage meter dropped to red instantly. keep in mind he got a brand new interstate a week before. we had to call triple a to tow us to his mechanic. them darn alternators.

:furious:

Reaction score
Alternators are tricky... I've tested a few at work (off of the vehicle, on a machine) that will test fine, yet turn out bad. The problem there is they've had time to cool down once they were removed. Anytime you have an alternator tested, have it tested a few times (so it gets hot). For instance, it'll test good the first time, good the second time, and bad the third time. Another way you can test it is: (for future reference) take a voltage meter, set it at 200, touch the positive to the positive on the alternator, the negative to the negative battery terminal... It needs to "ideally" read around 12.6... OR! Have you checked your cables running from your charging system to your battery...? (off the top of my head)

ninjacord

Reaction score
Finally figured it out. There was an exposed wire that was hitting the firewall. Caused the cruse control/ecu fuse to blow. Put a new fuse in and it seems to be running fine now. Charges right up and stays running. :lolrun:
Thanks for the help guys

Back